Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I dont think the budget will support what i really want, a 428, therefore, a stroked 390 is in my future.

I may go with a shop that Peter trust, but before i make that call, does anyone know of any reputable FE builders here in NC?
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If you do it right, you'll never have to do it again and it will look splendid. You just have to do it right... and preferably the first time.
Besides the hole, it just looks bad IMO.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
I dont think the budget will support what i really want, a 428, therefore, a stroked 390 is in my future.

I may go with a shop that Peter trust, but before i make that call, does anyone know of any reputable FE builders here in NC?
I'd talk to Dennis Olthoff. He's one of the best over in NC.

Home - Olthoff Racing
Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Besides the hole, it just looks bad IMO.
I concur

Quote:

Home - Olthoff Racing
Thank you
Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Lance Smith at Craft performance or Tony Carry in the NYC area. Both get high marks from Peter.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Home - Olthoff Racing
Absolutely. If I lived in NC, that's who I would go to.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Back when I had my engine built (about 2010) Keith Craft was charging about $500 more for a 428 core vs a 390 core - not a whole lot of difference but the market may have evolved since then. If you want maximium cu in with a stroker crank the 428 will go a bit bigger due to it's larger bore to start with. In the 445 cu in range you can work with a 390 and 4.25 stroke or a 428 with a 4.125 stroke. If you save the $500 on the 428 block and put it in a set of aluminum heads on the 390 instead - you will no doubt be HP ahead in the end - can go with a bit more compression and better breathing. Lots of combinations to choose from.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg(What's his name)? View Post
Lance Smith at Craft performance or Tony Carry in the NYC area. Both get high marks from Peter.
Thanks

Quote:
Absolutely. If I lived in NC, that's who I would go to.
Well that's two votes, actually, for some reason I feel compelled to believe Patrick's vote is worth two votes of a common person, or maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Back when I had my engine built (about 2010) Keith Craft was charging about $500 more for a 428 core vs a 390 core - not a whole lot of difference but the market may have evolved since then. If you want maximium cu in with a stroker crank the 428 will go a bit bigger due to it's larger bore to start with. In the 445 cu in range you can work with a 390 and 4.25 stroke or a 428 with a 4.125 stroke. If you save the $500 on the 428 block and put it in a set of aluminum heads on the 390 instead - you will no doubt be HP ahead in the end - can go with a bit more compression and better breathing. Lots of combinations to choose from.
Hmm, +$500 is not bad (until that happens about 6 times). I would prefer a 428.....i'll give them a call today.

More to follow...thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg(What's his name)? View Post
I ordered mine on the 8th of June and it was #821. So maybe a couple of Army guys get 821 and 822.
Darnit Gregg, I was promoted late again!....#822 it is.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I understand! Not enough points past the zone.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 06-23-2016, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, so after spending 1.5 hours looking at 37 pages of Cobra photos in the "show me your cobra thread" I have made the final decision, that was already made on the initial order, NO side view mirrors. Only a dash or windshield mount.

the ERA body is so accurate, Its simply too beautiful to drill 4 holes in for some stinking side view mirrors.

also, no "Kim Kardashian" exotic Victoria Secret interior. Just basic black for me. No offense, to each his / her own, but i like the simplicity of the original. give me some black vinyl, black carpet, 4 speed, and a FE im good!

And, i gotta have a set of GY billboards.

Last edited by willtwallace; 06-23-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Old 06-24-2016, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Don't forget the big wood steering wheel. Most people seem to have a love-hate relationship with those billboard Goodyears - short life, flat spotting, chunk pebbles at your fenders. Some have come up with faux billboard GYs based on other brands. But, they do look pretty cool.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Don't forget the big wood steering wheel. Most people seem to have a love-hate relationship with those billboard Goodyears - short life, flat spotting, chunk pebbles at your fenders. Some have come up with faux billboard GYs based on other brands. But, they do look pretty cool.
oh yes, the wood wheel is one of those "must haves." As for the billboards, that is a 100% aesthetic decision, just an accessory. I like the way they look. I know that and Goodyear knows that, therefore i don't expect them to dedicate too much time in engineering a set of earrings.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Neutral     

Quote:
oh yes, the wood wheel is one of those "must haves."
... and if you can swing it, putting the ERA QR hub on it will make your life a lot easier. It is really a work of art.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and if you can swing it, putting the ERA QR hub on it will make your life a lot easier. It is really a work of art.
I will not be swayed by peer pressure

If I keep listening to you Peter, ill eventually have the AC Cobra equivalent of a 4200lb Hellcat. With AC, electric lumbar seats, defroster, heated carbon fiber steering wheel, air ride suspension, pre and post mufflers, rabbit skin interior, navigation, Tesla park assist, and Fiji water radiator.

Last edited by willtwallace; 06-24-2016 at 06:10 AM..
Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and you shouldn't be. But you owe it to yourself to just try out the QR hub while you're visiting. It's virtually invisible -- it's almost like a magic trick when you put your hands on the sides of the column, your finger tips seek out the hidden latch, and *poof*, like magic, the wheel just comes off like it was never attached at all.

Working under the driver side portion of the dash is 1000% easier with the steering wheel out of the car. Plus, you will find that you do not want your steering wheel to be positioned perfectly plum straight when you're driving down the highway. Doing that tends to block your gauges. You have to have a trial and error period to find exactly where you want your wheel, but having a QR hub on there makes doing that as easy as pie.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-24-2016 at 06:15 AM..
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and you shouldn't be. But you owe it to yourself to just try out the QR hub while you're visiting. It's virtually invisible -- it's almost like a magic trick when you put your hands on the sides of the column, your finger tips seek out the hidden latch, and *poof*, like magic, the wheel just comes off like it was never attached it all.

Working under the driver side portion of the dash is 1000% easier with the steering wheel out of the car. Plus, you will find that you do not want your steering wheel to be positioned perfectly plum straight when you're driving down the highway. Doing that tends to block your gauges. You have to have a trial and error period to find exactly where you want your wheel, but having a QR hub on there makes doing that as easy as pie.
Man, you are good

"But you owe it to yourself "
"you do not want...."

A guy like you came to my house once and now I have an over priced vacuum cleaner. BUT, I can say, its nice.

In all seriousness, keep it coming, I love different perspectives.

Yes! you are correct, I was trying to replace a brake light switch on my ///M the other day, and realized I AM NOT 20 years old anymore.

But, im going to stick with the old school bolt on steering wheel.

Oh, BTW, I have over 100 posts now, my opinion is almost valid.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Working under the dash is not so bad when the steering wheel and seat are out of the car, but when they're in there, you have to lie on your back with your legs up and over the top of the seat and your head under the dash. It's a PITA.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-24-2016 at 06:37 AM..
Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I agree with Patrick. The quick release is expensive but well worth it. It's also a great theft deterrent. Here is a pic of the standard mirror and dash.

Phil
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And I think the QR Hub would be a harder, after the build, accessory to add, compared to something like a bigger fan, or the primary shielding and venting. Some guys take the approach of "if it's not a huge PITA to put it on later, then I'll just move it lower on the list today, but if it's a real bitc* to add later, or there is a significant stranded cost in doing so, then I'll move it up higher on the list for installation today." A perfect example of that is six pins versus five. Changing that over later is much more expensive than doing it up front. A top and side curtains, however, are going to cost pretty much the same whether you do it now or later. Of course, you should try to avoid significant stranded costs during your build as they are difficult to recoup. Here are a couple of pics of the QR hub.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-31-2016 at 12:25 PM..