Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   New ERA- Need Some guidance! Chassis #347 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/137758-new-era-need-some-guidance-chassis-347-a.html)

Tadelson 01-01-2017 04:22 PM

New ERA- Need Some guidance! Chassis #347

Good Evening,
I'm new to the cobra forum. In the process of purchasing my second cobra. My first was a shell valley that wasn't so hot.. But I had an opportunity to get my feet wet.. Chose the ERA for the second as I hear nothing but positive things about them.. I'm wondering if anybody out in ERA land can help me with the below car. This is as much as I know... looking to learn more.. My cousin has owned this car since new and recently passed away unexpectedly... Going to reach out to Peter at ERA. Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it

Chassis # 347
Purchased In may of 1992
Hallibrand wheels
webber down drafts
Rear end is jaguar
Transmission is ford top loader
302 SVO block
Car has exhaust underneath
no side pipes

Todd A.

eschaider 01-01-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadelson (Post 1412405)
... My cousin has owned this car since new ...

Have you talked to your cousin and what does he have to say?

Ed

Tadelson 01-01-2017 04:54 PM

Unfortunately Ed he passed away unexpectedly..

awfink55 01-01-2017 05:11 PM

Greetings Todd, May I suggest you contact Peter at ERA. Peter and the guys at ERA are great. Peter was able to send me the build sheet for my car and gave me the info for the engine builder to boot. I have now amassed plenty of info on my car including meeting and speaking with the first owner of my ERA. A trip to their place in New Britain is a must and well worth the trip from Longmeadow. Peter can set you in the right direction. Good Luck......

Murky781 01-01-2017 05:11 PM

I would suggest calling Peter at ERA and seeing what he has on file. If the car has only had one owner I would think he might very well have a file on its original configuration. A better chance if they built it, but I'm pretty sure they keep records of all their cars original owners. Good luck

desgros@vtlink. 01-02-2017 04:14 AM

Todd,

I understand completely. My first "Cobra" was a factory built Lone Star. I now have an ERA Slabside. So much better, as close as you will come to the real thing. Peter is outstanding, the go to person. In addition Doug is the build expert.

John

ERA #3010 289 Slabside

strictlypersonl 01-03-2017 05:33 AM

That was originally a pretty barebone kit. Send ERA an email (eracarssbcglobal.net) and I'll give you a scan of the original invoice.

66gtk 01-03-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1412558)
That was originally a pretty barebone kit. Send ERA an email (eracarssbcglobal.net) and I'll give you a scan of the original invoice.

What's not to love about this impressive service? The guys at ERA are tops!

66AC 04-20-2017 04:09 AM

I have #375. Built in 1992/3. Very dependable. However, let's admit that the car is 25 years old and certain parts are worthy of scrutiny.

On #375 here are the items that I did check (C) and or replace (R) over the last 2 years....

Rear Brake Cylinders and Pads (R) and Parking Brake Pad (R)
Front Brake Pads (C)
Clutch Master Cylinder and Slave (R)
Clutch and Throw out Bearing (R)
Rear End Seal on input shaft. (R) and rear end Lube (R)
Water Pump and all rubber hoses. (R)
Starter Switch. (R)
Front and Rear Brake Master Cylinders. (C)
Battery and all cables. (C & R)
Brake Fluids (R)
Coolant (R)
Alignment (C)

So essentially I suggest you check every part and every connector.
The car will speak to you and eventually let you know what it needs.
Check your DOT codes, your tires may be Very Old even though not worn out.

It is a fairly simple and dependable auto. ERA has designed it rather well.

66gtk 04-20-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66AC (Post 1420270)
I have #375. Built in 1992/3. Very dependable. However, let's admit that the car is 25 years old and certain parts are worthy of scrutiny.

On #375 here are the items that I did check (C) and or replace (R) over the last 2 years....

Rear Brake Cylinders and Pads (R) and Parking Brake Pad (R)
Front Brake Pads (C)
Clutch Master Cylinder and Slave (R)
Clutch and Throw out Bearing (R)
Rear End Seal on input shaft. (R) and rear end Lube (R)
Water Pump and all rubber hoses. (R)
Starter Switch. (R)
Front and Rear Brake Master Cylinders. (C)
Battery and all cables. (C & R)
Brake Fluids (R)
Coolant (R)
Alignment (C)

So essentially I suggest you check every part and every connector.
The car will speak to you and eventually let you know what it needs.
Check your DOT codes, your tires may be Very Old even though not worn out.

It is a fairly simple and dependable auto. ERA has designed it rather well.

Sounds about right based on my experience as well. May I ask how many miles you have on #375?

66AC 04-20-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1420278)
Sounds about right based on my experience as well. May I ask how many miles you have on #375?

About 39,000. Just refreshed the engine. Seems to be running great. Went with roller cam and rockers and the engine response to the throttle is near instantaneous. Took out the old RAM drag racing 3 paddle centrifugal clutch and replaced it with a Centerforce. Wow what a remarkable difference. Smooth, no judder. Should have done this a LONG time ago. Drives like a totally different car now. Smooth is all I can say.

66AC 04-27-2017 09:18 AM

One other thing I changed which I did forget to mention.

The fuel line rubber hoses... not the firm line which looked perfect but rather the black rubber line from the tank to the inline filter and the rubber from the firm line to the fuel pump. I changed those out with new at about 25 years. They were still actually pretty good but I did have some new line hanging around so that was an easy swap after all these years.

You may also want to check the rubber brake lines from the main reservoir to the masters. I did have some cracks in those lines which were beginning to weep. On my car #375 these lines come down into the inside of the foot box and down into the under car box which holds the masters... I am not sure if this is the same for the newer cars.... but I would check them to insure they are good to go.
I did get the replacement line from Pegasus Racing after a long search. Perhaps ERA (Bob Putnam) can point you to a source of supply as well for the break line.