Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Building ERA Slabside #3012 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/138283-building-era-slabside-3012-a.html)

patrickt 10-04-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whodeeny (Post 1452012)
If I had to do it over again I would give more consideration to Kirkham even with the higher cost.
BD

If you're still breathing, then it ain't too late.;)

tgandy 10-04-2018 05:54 PM

Sorry, it looks like this thread has gone far afield.

AndrewB 10-04-2018 06:18 PM

No problem, I don't mind. Whatever it takes to get some more traffic and discussions going on this site :)

tgandy 10-04-2018 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewB (Post 1452027)
No problem, I don't mind. Whatever it takes to get some more traffic and discussions going on this site :)

I certainly would like to see more ERA talk. I think its a great kit and has everything I'm looking for. But, with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show.

66gtk 10-05-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgandy (Post 1452033)
I certainly would like to see more ERA talk. I think its a great kit and has everything I'm looking for. But, with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show.

I'm not sure what this comment means. Sure, you "could" assemble one of their kits in a few hundred hours (depending on how it's originally ordered/equipped), or you could spend a thousand hours or more. It all depends on your expectations for the finished product.

If the wait is a concern (this is certainly legitimate), perhaps a pre-owned ERA will suit you better. If you find one you like you can have it immediately, and at a discounted price from new. It goes without saying that not all pre-owned Cobras are equal, even among the ERA brand. Shop carefully.

There is an ERA Facebook page out there if that's your thing. Lot's of fun discussion and sharing going on there, but you have to be able to answer the "entry" question properly to be let in by the evil administrator (that's me, BTW). It helps keep the riffraff out of our fun sandbox.

tgandy 10-05-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1452086)
I'm not sure what this comment means. Sure, you "could" assemble one of their kits in a few hundred hours (depending on how it's originally ordered/equipped), or you could spend a thousand hours or more. It all depends on your expectations for the finished product.

If the wait is a concern (this is certainly legitimate), perhaps a pre-owned ERA will suit you better. If you find one you like you can have it immediately, and at a discounted price from new. It goes without saying that not all pre-owned Cobras are equal, even among the ERA brand. Shop carefully.

There is an ERA Facebook page out there if that's your thing. Lot's of fun discussion and sharing going on there, but you have to be able to answer the "entry" question properly to be let in by the evil administrator (that's me, BTW). It helps keep the riffraff out of our fun sandbox.


Hey, 66gtk, let me try to better explain. The Kit Details page for the 289FIA states, "Real people with a little mechanical skill and normal tools can build an E.R.A. 289FIA kit in about 100 hours, excluding the paint and body preparation." (Era Replica Automobiles' 289FIA replica/kit)

The advertised build time for the FFR is is about 800 hours, if my memory serves me. A kit having an advertised build time of 100 hours is simply not going to have the steps to complete than one with 8 times the man-hours. After reading many FFR Roadster builders logs and the Assembly Manual, I can honestly say that much of the work required for the FFR is already provided by ERA.

I was surprised by the lead time, but it wasn't a concern, per se. The "I have ADD" comment was a joke on me. I'm building a Cobra because I want the experience of building a Cobra as historically accurate as reasonably possible. I suspect it will take me more than 100 hours.

There just isn't as much 'building' and 'figuring out' to report on the ERA sites. I like reading builder's logs, but, as I stated,"with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show."

If you need more clarification, don't hesitate to ask. BTW, do you work for ERA?

Thanks - Terry

66gtk 10-05-2018 04:25 PM

I got you now. Yep, the ERA kits are very much complete compared to others. I do not work for ERA but I've owned a few. I love these cars.

tgandy 10-05-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1452112)
I got you now. Yep, the ERA kits are very much complete compared to others. I do not work for ERA but I've owned a few. I love these cars.

Excellent! Agreed. The ERA has everything I'm looking for. Now, I just can't decide between the 289FIA or the Slabside. The former is just Steve McQueen cool and the latter is sexy as all get out.

Argh!

DanEC 10-05-2018 05:50 PM

Body work and painting is pretty time consuming. No matter how everyone brags about the quality of ERA bodies (and they are good) they are still a fiberglass body out of a mold and they take a bunch of work to put straight and finished. If not for that the kit probably can be assembled in not much over 100 hours by someone with good wrenching skills and if they have all their parts truly on hand. But adding little things - insulation or sound deadening, wheel well undercoating, custom ignition system, a sound system, engine detailing, etc can start to eat up a bunch of additional time. I suspect the guys who order a completely painted roller - minus engine/transmission - probably spend close to 100 hours on final assembly - installing drive train, trimming out the interior, getting it up and running.

tgandy 10-05-2018 07:10 PM

Hey DanEC,
I agree, I'll be farming out my prep and paint. Someone like myself trying to prepare and paint a fiberglass shell is a great way to make a really nice car look like a really not very nice car. There are plenty of things I can do on the car.

dacobb 10-06-2018 07:54 AM

hey 66gtk I see there is an "ERA Replicas Automobiles" facebook page but I don't think that's the one you are referencing.

do you have a name for it so I can check it out?

66gtk 10-07-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacobb (Post 1452126)
hey 66gtk I see there is an "ERA Replicas Automobiles" facebook page but I don't think that's the one you are referencing.

do you have a name for it so I can check it out?

ERA Replica Cobra and GT40 Appreciation Group

tgandy 10-07-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1452182)

Found it. It looks like a great Group. Thanks!

1985 CCX 10-07-2018 07:14 PM

We need more pics.....

Kit Coyle 10-08-2018 10:11 AM

Can I access the facebook ERA group without joining FB...which I will not do.

66gtk 10-08-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Coyle (Post 1452261)
Can I access the facebook ERA group without joining FB...which I will not do.

Unfortunately - no

nwray 10-09-2018 10:16 AM

I spy my Cobra
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewB (Post 1431795)
Just a quick update with new pictures from ERA. Just waiting on the truck to pick it up!

https://i.imgur.com/xDw0NYSl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5s0112Zl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/odT3dcFl.jpg

Hey that's my blue 427 in the background of your picture. It's car 818. I got a few pictures from Peter during the build of my car and I kept seeing your slabside in the background. You have one nice looking ride!!!

tgandy 10-09-2018 11:07 AM

OMG! That is beautiful!! What's the name of the color?

DanEC 10-09-2018 03:40 PM

That's real purty. Gonna be some sleepless nights until it shows up in your driveway.

AndrewB 10-09-2018 04:01 PM

Thanks all!

@nwray - Lets see some pics!

@tgandy - It is a custom mix in an attempt to replicate the original Princess Blue color. I think its relatively close, but hard to say as I have not seen an original Princess Blue in person and this color seems to photograph very differently depending on light/angle. Either way, I think it looks damn good in person.

Dan, it has finally returned to my garage. With 3 ~3000 mile journeys under its belt in the past year it has more travel miles than I do so far.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: