Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   changing from street dash to s/c dash on existing car (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/138295-changing-street-dash-s-c-dash-existing-car.html)

VanCobra 04-17-2017 11:01 AM

changing from street dash to s/c dash on existing car

Could anyone tell me what parts I would need, in order to switch from a street dash layout to a s/c dash layout on an existing ERA 427? I intend to re-use the existing gauges but in the new configuration.

Would I just need a new dashboard from ERA cutout with the s/c layout?

What about the existing dash wiring? Can it be re-used for the new layout without modification; or would I need new dash wiring to accommodate the repositioned gauges?

Large Arbor 04-17-2017 11:49 AM

If your gauges remain the same the only issue should be if the wiring will reach the new location. I would think all of the wiring would remain the same and certainly the tach, oil pressure, speedometer, etc. will not change. I would label everything so that once you disconnect it all you can remember where each connection goes.

Phil

DanEC 04-17-2017 01:12 PM

If Bob doesn't weigh in on this I would probably give him a call to ask about this. I sort of suspect the dash harness is constructed a little differently.

patrickt 04-17-2017 01:22 PM

I've had my dash out and down -- I'm going to guess that the wiring harness is the same for both. I'm also going to say that the hardest part is going to be moving the mechanical gauges over. But there's got to be a big coil of sender there for each gauge, because you can't cut them. I think the job is probably easier than you think once you get the new dash sent to you from ERA.

RockBit 04-17-2017 02:12 PM

Having recently wired my ERA s/c dash, I am going to guess the dash harness is different between the two layouts. Mine came with the oil pressure and oil temp units swapped, and I had to swap them back so the wires would reach. Of course, ERA can tell you for sure.

1985 CCX 04-17-2017 02:21 PM

Call Bob at ERA

patrickt 04-17-2017 02:41 PM

"The dashboard can be wired on a bench and simply plugged into the rest of the harness." No mention of any distinction on the wiring diagram for the different types of dash.:cool: You can find that page here: Wiring shop

DanEC 04-17-2017 04:20 PM

Where's Bob? I understand he hand builds (or used to anyway) the wire harnesses on a peg board template so only he probably knows.

strictlypersonl 04-19-2017 04:26 PM

The ERA dash harness fits both the Street and SC dash. If you follow the wires closely, you'll find that several branches exit the main harness midpoint between where their Street/SC gauges/switches are located. Life is too complicated for me already. There are already completely different harnesses for the FIA street dash, FIA Comp dash, and the Slabside dash. **)

VanCobra 04-20-2017 09:36 AM

Many thanks for your replies.

If I read correctly, the existing dash wiring harness is also (along with the gauges) reusable; so, all I would need to do is purchase a new s/c dashboard from ERA. I will phone them for pricing.