Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Correct Toploader tailhousing for era fia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/139127-correct-toploader-tailhousing-era-fia.html)

lumpy3339 08-15-2017 05:41 PM

Correct Toploader tailhousing for era fia

Hello all, I have searched the this forum and I am confused, I am looking for your help.
What is the correct measurement from the gearbox mounting face to the 1st shifter mounting bolt that will place the shifter in the most accurate location?
What is the correct tailhousing part number?
My tailhousing is 14" with the 1st mounting bolt 15-1/2" from the gearbox mounting face. Thank you for you guidance

DanEC 08-15-2017 07:20 PM

You have the short tail housing. The ERA manual shows a dimension of 22 inches as being the figure you want for direct bolt up of the shifter mount plate for the 427 SC. If your first bolt hole is closer to the front than that you will probably need an adaptor which I believe ERA can provide. I'm not sure what they use on the 289 and FIA cars.

Edit: Never mind - I failed to notice the fia at the end of the thread title.

1795 08-16-2017 05:08 AM

I have a long tail housing on my top loader, and it is mated to a 289 in my SPF FIA. I just measured from the closest shifter mounting bolt to the bell housing and it was 15 1/2". I am not sure that the length of the tail housing changes the shifter location much. The big impact is on driveshaft length.

You need to make sure that you have the correct top loader for your engine. Small block ones tended to be 28 spline and big block 31 spline, but you will find some big blocks that used the 28 spline and their are other variations as well. There is also some variation depending on the year of the engine as well.

It is best to contact either David Kee or Dan Williams and check with them to make sure that you have the correct top loader for your engine. Google either of their names and add top loader to it and you will get their websites. You can email David, but will have to call Dan.

Good luck.

Jim

lumpy3339 08-16-2017 06:59 AM

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure before l send it to David Kee. I do have toploader for a sbf 28 spline output. The measurements from my transmission are the same as the drawing in the era fia manual.

LMH 08-16-2017 07:56 AM

Not sure about original comp cars but an original production 289 car has the shifter handle 16" back from the mounting surface. (In neutral, BW transmission)
It's also offset to the left of center of course.
Larry

1795 08-16-2017 09:27 AM

Larry,

That would be about right where mine is. The bolt that Lumpy339 was referencing is slightly forward of the shifter handle on the top loader.

Jim

strictlypersonl 08-16-2017 02:28 PM

We recommend the short-tailshaft version, if for no other reason we don't stock driveshafts for the long tailshaft. As it is, the driveshaft is pretty short.

1795 08-16-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1428435)
We recommend the short-tailshaft version, if for no other reason we don't stock driveshafts for the long tailshaft. As it is, the driveshaft is pretty short.

Yes, the driveshaft is quite short for the long tailshaft. Mine is 9 1/4" from center to center of the U-joints.

xb-60 08-17-2017 02:34 AM

My Toploader has the 14” tailhousing.
The measured dimension from the gearbox/scattershield interface to the first mounting hole for the Hurst shifter is 15-3/4” or 400mm (give-or-take)

Here’s my Toploader after being fettled by David Kee’s agent in Adelaide (S Aus)….
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ium/TL_95a.JPG

So....you're building an ERA FIA ? Tell us more :D

Cheers,
Glen

lumpy3339 08-17-2017 05:55 PM

Glen, I am gathering parts as the opportunity arises while I am saving to place my order. I want to have 75% of my budget in hand before sending my deposit. It will be a 289 fia with era rear irs. Thanks for the information Jerry