Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Tie rod dust boots (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/140260-tie-rod-dust-boots.html)

wolf k 02-16-2018 05:51 AM

Tie rod dust boots

I am searching for a quality set of tie rod boots to replace my dry-rotted originals. Anybody have a source or at least know what model/year crosses over to our cars?

patrickt 02-16-2018 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf k (Post 1438604)
I am searching for a quality set of tie rod boots to replace my dry-rotted originals. Anybody have a source or at least know what model/year crosses over to our cars?

It depends on the steering rack. If you have the later Mustang based rack, then Flaming River FR1502B boots will likely fit. If you have the earlier Subaru based rack, then you're going to need something that fits 1977-79 stage II cars (steering rack part #: 631-300-540).

spdbrake 02-16-2018 07:25 AM

Energy suspension makes quite a few different Poly boots. Just need to measure your tie rods to determine what to order.

Universal Polyurethane Dust Boot Replacements - Energy Suspension

How to video is on the same page.

wolf k 02-17-2018 08:47 AM

^ Thanks, I appreciate that. I do have the later steering rack.
After measuring found pin diameter 15mm, base diameter 36mm, boot height 25mm, looks like boot no. 9.13101 is the one.

1795 02-17-2018 01:25 PM

Speaking from experience, when you go to remove the old boots. crack the adjusting nut on the tie rod end and then mark the threads with some paint before removing the tiered ends so that you will have an approximation of where to set them after you have removed the old boots and installed then new ones. Saves a lot of time as you reset the front end alignment. Also, a little bit of grease on the inside of the boot where the threaded end has to slide through it will assist in an easier installation of the new boot.

Good luck.

Jim

tboneheller 02-19-2018 06:53 AM

Are you needing the boot for the outer tie rod, or the bellows for the inner?

wolf k 02-19-2018 11:09 AM

I am in need of replacing the outers, Jim gave good pointer for replacing the inners.