Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   era fia alum side panels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/141729-era-fia-alum-side-panels.html)

otto 11-22-2018 05:12 PM

era fia alum side panels

anyone ever remove them to refinish them , I have a lot of antifreeze stains that are etched into the panel's

patrickt 11-22-2018 05:38 PM

You can't just clean them in place with 600 grit sandpaper?:confused:

mrmustang 11-22-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1454315)
You can't just clean them in place with 600 grit sandpaper?:confused:

As the retired body shop owner, I believe 600 grit is too course, recommend 1,000 grit wet/dry (always wet). :cool:

patrickt 11-22-2018 06:03 PM

Alright, you can't just clean them in place with 1000 grit wet sandpaper?:confused:

otto 11-22-2018 06:20 PM

not sure I can get a good finish in the car , out of the car and on a table would be easier to get a good grain finish

mrmustang 11-22-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1454318)
Alright, you can't just clean them in place with 1000 grit wet sandpaper?:confused:

Actually, you can, and I have :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 1454319)
not sure I can get a good finish in the car , out of the car and on a table would be easier to get a good grain finish

You can also use grey (automotive) scotchbrite pads (roughly 800 grit) with automotive grade soapy water and get a good grain finish. The trick is sanding back and forth in one direction, and not cross ways, or in circles.

Bill S.

strictlypersonl 11-23-2018 03:23 AM

The front wheel-house panels are "glued" to the chassis rails with silicone sealant. They can be removed, but they might be slightly damaged in the process. I would try to do any restoration in place.

otto 11-23-2018 11:01 AM

thank you for all who have replied

mrmustang 11-23-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 1454348)
thank you for all who have replied

Did I make mention to disconnect the battery before you do this clean up work in the engine compartment :cool:

patrickt 11-23-2018 11:49 AM

I just walked down and looked at mine. I wouldn't dream of removing them from the car just to clean them up. Just take everything down that might be on them, like reservoirs, etc., and then do like MM suggested -- especially disconnecting the battery (and bleed off your MSD capacitor as well). Oh, and if you do have the black Girling reservoirs on there from the old Austin Healey cars, if you even look at them cross-eyed they will start leaking.:LOL:

1985 CCX 11-23-2018 12:31 PM

Fine scotch brite pad. Easy

patrickt 11-23-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1454353)
Fine scotch brite pad. Easy

You know, I had a funky stain on the piece of aluminum that runs along the top of the radiator, is about three fingers wide, and runs the distance of the engine bay between the two fender wells, and that's exactly what I used to make it disappear. That must have been about twelve years ago and I'd completely forgotten about it until now. :JEKYLHYDE

otto 11-23-2018 02:06 PM

will give the gray scuff pads a try and see how it goes
thanks again

CompClassics 11-24-2018 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Before you try ANY abrasive cleaning options please give this product a try. I use it exclusively for just what you are describing. You will have to remove any dissimilar metal objects like cadmium plated nuts and bolts but this stuff is the bomb when used as per instructions. The biggest benefit is that it does not alter the factory finish of the panel like abrasives would do.

patrickt 11-24-2018 09:24 AM

Now I just view marks and stains as "elevated patina.":cool:

Karl Bebout 11-24-2018 01:58 PM

Comp, thanks for the tip. I've been slowly trying to clean my bay aluminum after stupidly using purple stuff to clean. Used it on my wheels too. ****eza! What a job that was!

I'll be getting some of the Aluma Kleen.

CompClassics 11-24-2018 06:13 PM

Karl,

You will be thrilled with the product, I was!