Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Rear Hub Nut Castle Bolt (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/142501-rear-hub-nut-castle-bolt.html)

Large Arbor 06-24-2019 04:34 PM

Rear Hub Nut Castle Bolt

I seem to have some albeit small amount of play in my rear hub. I would like to turn the castle nut some and check its torque. Anyone know the size and torque poundage?

Phil

Bearwolf 06-24-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1463653)
I seem to have some albeit small amount of play in my rear hub. I would like to turn the castle nut some and check its torque. Anyone know the size and torque poundage?

Phil

The rear hubs are allowed a small amount of play, I think .004 or so. The end float in the Jag hubs is not a product of the tightness of the castle nut, but is created with spacers. I'll try to double check the torque spec when I get a chance.

On second thought, I may have put the torque spec in my hub rebuild video. Check it out here . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n71TNpDULc&t=6s

Large Arbor 06-24-2019 05:34 PM

10-4. Mine seems like it has 1/4 inch of play in it when I pull on it which is more than the other side. Given that is there a shim that would tighten it up?

Phil

patrickt 06-25-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1463658)
10-4. Mine seems like it has 1/4 inch of play in it when I pull on it which is more than the other side. Given that is there a shim that would tighten it up?

Phil

A quarter inch of hub end float is a huge, huge, huge amount.:JEKYLHYDE Are you sure that when you pull on the wheel you're not being fooled and it's really coming from the u-joints and fulcrum area and maybe the differential output shafts, maybe all added together? Setting the HEF is pretty straight forward, albeit a serious PITA. Shorty instructions can be found here: Setting the Hub Carrier axle bearings but I honestly don't think you have a quarter inch of HEF.

Large Arbor 06-25-2019 01:10 PM

Yes, I went back and looked and it appears that its not hub float but just U joint and fulcrum area. Put the tire back on and it appears ok.

Phil

patrickt 06-25-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1463703)
Yes, I went back and looked and it appears that its not hub float but just U joint and fulcrum area. Put the tire back on and it appears ok.

Phil

Well I'm glad you didn't break out the impact gun and torque that hub bolt down to ehhhhh, a good 600 ft/lbs. Sometimes just leaving something alone is the best repair of all.:cool: