Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kevins2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Slow fill-ups

I'm not sure how widespread this issue is, but I've heard a couple of guys mention they have to fill up very slowly or the gas nozzle auto-shutoff keeps kicking in. So, I thought I'd post a solution that enables full-speed fill-ups.

The issue is that, unless you're aiming down the middle of the fill tube, the gas bubbles up and the auto shutoff kicks in. I made a stand for a small mirror out of some scrap metal I had laying around and, by watching through the clear fill tube in the trunk (I believe most, if not all, ERAs have clear fill tubes like this?), it is easy to aim down the center and fill full speed. In the photo below, the view is from standing where you'd be filling and I'm holding a small wrench in the filler tube where you'd see the gas nozzle.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to someone...

RockBit likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Does aiming down the center of the tube really work?

When filling my tank I have to dribble the gas at the lowest possible flow rate, or I get a geyser of fuel all over the fender. I have tried different positions to aim but have not found any that work.

It takes forever to fill up.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I can only say it works great for me. If you're watching the tube it is easy to aim - I found it almost impossible to keep it centered without a visual, so even after I knew centering the flow was the trick I couldn't do it without being able to see. You can test it out by leaning over and watching in the trunk - that's how I figured out that I could go full speed by keeping the flow centered. Like you described, I had to go slowly before discovering this. I then added the mirror because leaning over wasn't comfortable and I'm sure it looked kinda weird as well. Try it and let us know. You can work up to full speed slowly to avoid geysers until you see it works with your car. I've been doing this for a few years now and never spill a drop filling up full blast.

Kevin

Last edited by kevins2; 08-25-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Strange how this affects some but not others. I have #629 and I've never had problems with mine filling slowly. I forget when, but I think ERA changed the inlet on the tank from the top to the side at some point. I wonder if it's a problem on one design but not the other.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

#732 never has any problem filling the tank and I don't do anything special.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

I hold the nozzle seal with my left hand and look down the fill tube to make sure the gas doesn’t gurgle up. I have hold the gas fill about half flow. I have felt covering the fill tube inside the trunk, so I’d need to remove that to use the mirror trick, but I do like the idea. Oh, I have the street cap—not sure if that makes it worse?
Old 08-26-2019, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA761 428FE
Not Ranked     

Hello everyone, ERA 761 unfortunately has this issue! When I fill my car I need to keep my eye on the nozzle by bending over and looking into the trunk. If I keep the nozzle straight down I can go full blast with no issues, if it moves slightly in any direction the gas will back up and could over flow. Not sure if there is a fix for this but thanks for sharing Kevin!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hello olenik1,

You have that very nice dark green ERA427? Please post some pics of the car when you have enough posts
....and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

I do not have a slow fuel fill issue with #375. My car does not have the removable gas cap, rather, the LeMans aluminum cap (which hinges open) has a gasket which closes and seals the gas. The early LeMans caps have a bit of a larger orafice. But when the tank is near full I can get a blurp as the filler clicks off. Seems however like your visual mirror is a neat solution. I wonder if the original 427 Cobras had/have a slow fill issue?? Probably so few originals ever see the street any more.... we may never know.

Last edited by 66AC; 08-26-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66AC View Post
I do not have a slow fuel fill issue with #375. My car does not have the removable gas cap, rather, the LeMans aluminum cap (which hinges open) has a gasket which closes and seals the gas. The early LeMans caps have a bit of a larger orafice. But when the tank is near full I can get a blurp as the filler clicks off. Seems however like your visual mirror is a neat solution. I wonder if the original 427 Cobras had/have a slow fill issue?? Probably so few originals ever see the street any more.... we may never know.
We made a change at around #730, moving the filler tube path to the side of the tank. It made a better trunk shape, but made the filler path more restrictive. Sometimes improvements aren't completely improvements.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
We made a change at around #730, moving the filler tube path to the side of the tank. It made a better trunk shape, but made the filler path more restrictive. Sometimes improvements aren't completely improvements.
It does seem like that's the issue, since guys with older cars are reporting they don't have it. The change must have been after #732, Patrick's car, since he isn't having it.

It's really no big deal once you get used to watching as you fill.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Makes sense. I have #347 with no issues fueling.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
It does seem like that's the issue, since guys with older cars are reporting they don't have it. The change must have been after #732, Patrick's car, since he isn't having it.
Must've started at #733.