Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Brakes worked! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/142779-brakes-worked.html)

Large Arbor 09-15-2019 12:36 PM

Brakes worked!

I went out for a short 20 mile ride around a lake locally. Was simply a beautiful ride until someone turned right in front of me at 45 mph. I locked up all 4 wheels and missed them by the grace of God and a smidgen pf space! That got my heart thumping quite well. On any other day I would have T-boned them but I have been breaking in a new clutch! The brakes worked well, but what a rush to go into a full skid with no where to go!

Phil

Jaydee 09-15-2019 05:12 PM

Do you have a brake booster. I would need 2 feet to be able to lock up mine. As my engineer said, if you need 40 pounds of foot pressure to stop then you can regulate your brakes with more precision. Modern cars before ABS you could lock up the brakes using your little toe, therefore much harder to avoid lock up. Obviously locking up slows you a lot less then keeping your wheels turning.JD

twobjshelbys 09-15-2019 05:30 PM

The old Cobra 0-100-0 claim was mostly stopping time and with both feet on the brake.

Large Arbor 09-16-2019 08:07 AM

No brake booster! Just a hard push on the petal! It actually surprised me how well it stopped! Nevertheless, a rush just the same!

Phil

DanEC 09-16-2019 04:39 PM

Glad you got out of that safely Phil. I fear things like that every time I take mine out.

Jaydee 09-17-2019 02:20 AM

With the massive chassis on most Cobras, are they safer or worse in a accident? Most race cars are better in a crash with roll bars etc. JD

patrickt 09-17-2019 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee (Post 1466788)
With the massive chassis on most Cobras, are they safer or worse in a accident?

:LOL::LOL::LOL: It all depends on whether you're seeking an open casket or closed casket funeral.:cool:

desgros@vtlink. 09-19-2019 11:15 AM

A casketed funeral could be expensive.

John
ERA #3010 289 Slabside BRG

MaSnaka 09-24-2019 05:55 PM

I feel nearly invisible sometimes so I will drive in the daytime with headlights on. I have a silver gray low profile car, no stripes. On a cloudy or overcast day I feel especially vulnerable to the non observant, texting, soccer mom or dad or teenager. So defensive driving it is. Be loud and proud. What do the bikers say...loud pipes save lives...ya I think that's it. Be safe friends!

John

DanEC 09-26-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaSnaka (Post 1466996)
I feel nearly invisible sometimes so I will drive in the daytime with headlights on. I have a silver gray low profile car, no stripes. On a cloudy or overcast day I feel especially vulnerable to the non observant, texting, soccer mom or dad or teenager. So defensive driving it is. Be loud and proud. What do the bikers say...loud pipes save lives...ya I think that's it. Be safe friends!

John

I don't blame you. My wife went through a number of collisions over about 20 years - never at fault - just driving along obeying the law - rear enders, front enders - backed into - you name it. We finally realized every car she had owned was either silver or light gray and concluded they are nearly invisible to other drivers and blend in too well with weathered asphalt and concrete. The last time she bought a black car and so far she has not had any one run over her for 7 years now. I love silver but I don't think I will be buying another one.

Gaz64 09-26-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1467051)
I don't blame you. My wife went through a number of collisions over about 20 years - never at fault - just driving along obeying the law - rear enders, front enders - backed into - you name it. We finally realized every car she had owned was either silver or light gray and concluded they are nearly invisible to other drivers and blend in too well with weathered asphalt and concrete. The last time she bought a black car and so far she has not had any one run over her for 7 years now. I love silver but I don't think I will be buying another one.

Yes, fully agree.

That's why most of my cars have been white, yellow, or red.
Have never owned silver, since driving a friends car a few times and every time having a near miss with other drivers.

Gary