Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Cobrarestorers soft top fit ERA? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/143769-cobrarestorers-soft-top-fit-era.html)

Grubby 06-27-2020 03:03 PM

Cobrarestorers soft top fit ERA?

Bob -

Will cobrarestorers soft top kit fit an ERA?

I have a 427 kit on order and looking to save a few bucks here and there. I am not afraid to do the install at home, if it will fit.

There is a new in the box soft top kit for sale at a reduced price. I know the side windows won't fit. I am just asking about the top.

John

desgros@vtlink. 06-27-2020 04:17 PM

ERA stands behind their products and service.

As always, you get what you pay for.

John ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG

sea2jet 06-27-2020 05:04 PM

I have an ERA top with side curtains and frame, but it’s for a 427 street car with no roll bar.

patrickt 06-27-2020 05:06 PM

I think it's probably easier to build an FE from scratch, pouring your own molds in the basement, than it is to fit a soft top to one of these cars.:cool:

jschiller 06-28-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1478924)
I have an ERA top with side curtains and frame, but it’s for a 427 street car with no roll bar.

sea2jet---are you offering to sell your top and side curtains?

DanEC 06-28-2020 06:49 AM

Man - unless you find someone who has fitted one to an ERA that may be a very difficult question to answer. I fitted my ERA top myself and I think the main thing would be if the pattern of the rear deck portion of the top matches the same dimensional layout of the studs that ERA uses. The rear deck edge of the soft top could reach some studs but not others for fitting the snaps. I believe I have seen somewhere a layout of the studs that ERA uses to pre-drill their cars. If you could obtain that, maybe Cobra Restorers would be able to see if it seems to match up with the pattern used for their soft top (which is probably from some other vendor). Or if you are real lucky, maybe the actual vendor is the supplier to ERA. Otherwise, I don't think the bows or windshield frame channels or front hold down clamps would be a big issue. But assuming you will have a standard ERA roll bar, ERA provides a piece of material for altering the top to extend it around the rear leg. You would need to get some matching material and do something similar.

DanEC 06-28-2020 06:54 AM

I want to say from memory that my top from ERA was provided by Robbins. But this was about 8 years ago so that could no longer be the case. I believe Kevins2 bought one from ERA a couple years after I did so he might be able to confirm this.

Grubby 06-28-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1478941)
Man - unless you find someone who has fitted one to an ERA that may be a very difficult question to answer. I fitted my ERA top myself and I think the main thing would be if the pattern of the rear deck portion of the top matches the same dimensional layout of the studs that ERA uses. The rear deck edge of the soft top could reach some studs but not others for fitting the snaps. I believe I have seen somewhere a layout of the studs that ERA uses to pre-drill their cars. If you could obtain that, maybe Cobra Restorers would be able to see if it seems to match up with the pattern used for their soft top (which is probably from some other vendor). Or if you are real lucky, maybe the actual vendor is the supplier to ERA. Otherwise, I don't think the bows or windshield frame channels or front hold down clamps would be a big issue. But assuming you will have a standard ERA roll bar, ERA provides a piece of material for altering the top to extend it around the rear leg. You would need to get some matching material and do something similar.

I'm not afraid of fitting the top. I am concerned about exactly what you are mentioning. I have been told Cobrarestorers uses Robins, but even at that, is it the same as the one ERA uses?

Maybe Bob will know. If not sure, I don't think I will risk it.

If an ERA top comes up for a fair price, that is better. I have an email into a guy that may have one.

I found a nice used top for ERA 755 and it fit with no problems and then I pretty much rebuilt side windows from another manufacturer. They looked ERA original when done.

John

DanEC 06-28-2020 10:10 AM

I think only Robbins could say if their pattern they sell to ERA is the same as they furnished to Cobra Restorers. But an ERA top would be a safer bet. A used ERA top should be fine too and probably just a minor adjustment on the windshield angle - if even that - is all that might be needed.

strictlypersonl 06-28-2020 01:19 PM

A. Does the Cobra Restorer "top" include rear bows and front header parts? That's where half our costs are.

B. We have 2" added to the front edge to make fitting easier.

Grubby 06-28-2020 02:02 PM

Thank you. I suspected ERA had some type of modification.

John

1795 06-28-2020 06:29 PM

When I had my ERA I drove it to them and they fitted the soft top in a day. I fitted my tonneau cover by myself, and there was no way that I was going to try to fit the lift dots by myself. It was well worth the cost and from what I recall, the install price was reasonable.