Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Q and D 4 way flasher issue (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/144031-q-d-4-way-flasher-issue.html)

Blackbart 09-11-2020 10:43 AM

Q and D 4 way flasher issue

I am trying the Q and D method to get four way flashers to pass NY Safety Inspection. (I finally got my appointment time with DMV to have the initial inspection, so I am hoping to get #804 on the road soon).
I've bridged the yellow and green wires at the trailer connection (#71 I believe) and get the front signal lights to flash simultaneously however the rears do not flash.
When I step on the brakes, all four flashers work. Not sure why the rears only flash when the brake light is activated.
Any ideas?

kevins2 09-11-2020 11:29 AM

Not sure if the quick and dirty method works but, if you haven't seen the thread I've linked below, the answer to the wiring question is below. I followed Patrick's instructions and posted on the second page with a couple things I did differently (mounting, not wiring differences). I highly recommend this as a permanent enhancement, as it's obviously nice to have 4 way flashers. Good luck with your inspection/registration.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-...-how-pics.html

patrickt 09-11-2020 12:09 PM

bb -- any chance you could post some actual pics of your bridging? If you've done it correctly (and it sounds like you have), and the four ways only come on when you're also pushing the brakes, then the only thing I can think of is that it's a peculiarity with the circuitry of the trailer relay itself. If that's the case, then you could roll the dice and include the red wire on the trailer relay in the bridging and just see what happens. That should work if standing on the brakes work, but you won't know until you try it. If it does, then you'll need two switches to connect the three wires so that you disconnect all of them from each other when you're not flashing.

Blackbart 09-11-2020 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the bridge. Yellow and green at the #71.

patrickt 09-11-2020 02:17 PM

Yep, that looks right. Alright, put another posi-tap on the red wire that runs to the trailer relay and connect it to the bridge also, so that you have green/yellow/red all tied together and see if that makes it all flash when the key is on and the turn signal is signaling. That should work and, if it does, we find you a suitable triple pole switch that will connect all three instead of having to use two switches.

Blackbart 09-12-2020 07:05 AM

I'm throwing the towel. When I tap into the red wire I expected to have power with the ignition switch turned on. No such luck. I simply cannot figure out which wire feeds the brake light switch. I could go find the switch on the master cylinder but I just don't feel like putting anymore time into this project. If the car doesn't pass the NY safety inspection I will go with either Patrick's home remedy but truthfully being diode challenged will probably get Bob's plug and play harness to make a permanent 4 way flasher system.
Thanks Kevin and Patrick for your replies.
Gary

patrickt 09-12-2020 07:10 AM

That red wire is only hot when the ignition is on and you're pressing the brake pedal. Before throwing in the towel, connect it to the bridge that you made between the yellow and green wires and then retest.