Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Holley Fuel Pump 12-125 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/144809-holley-fuel-pump-12-125-a.html)

Cobra 29 05-10-2021 03:57 PM

Holley Fuel Pump 12-125

Well, my original fuel pump (SW 82052) died about 1/2 mile from the house. Able to get home by pouring fuel down the fuel bowl vents a few times. The old pump is not available from SW. Their replacement pump, SW 82091, does 43 GPH and 8 PSI.

Several years ago, expecting this event, I purchased a Holley 12-125 pump, 125 GPH and 7 PSI. Its supposedly quiet since it is a geo-rotor pump.

Here's my question, switch pump would be better? Or perhaps another pump?? The Holley pump is heavy and will have to be mounted (with nut inserts) to the frame behind the left rear wheel. Not particular easy given the 6 inches available to drill, etc. If I purchased the new SW pump, it looks lighter like the original and could be mounted to a vertical fiberglass truck panel like the old.

The car is ERA454, 425 HP, 650 DP carb. Thoughts please.

Grubby 05-10-2021 05:05 PM

That is a pretty big pump for your power level. If you want to stay that big the Holley SNIPER DIECAST 340 LPH IN-TANK CARBURETED RETROFIT FUEL MODULE RETURNLESS SYSTEM looks like a clean installation.

A guy on the ERA board on this site, put one in his build. No return line or pressure regulator needed.

It is the one I am planning for my ERA build. It will fit in the tank, directly in front of the existing sending unit. It is quiet since it is in the tank.

Nice clean installation with a fuel line running the normal ERA path from tank to carb.

John

eschaider 05-10-2021 11:02 PM

+1^
This is a great solution and the in tank location will also extend the life of the pump by being immersed in cooling fuel most of the time, just like the OEM EFI pumps.

Ed

Cobra 29 05-11-2021 02:52 AM

Sounds like a great in-tank solution. I believe Holley also offers a electric fuel level pod that eliminates the old style float and lever assembly. In the ERA I am concerned about the space between the top of the tank and the truck floor. I beleive it is only 1/4 inch.

Any other thoughts about the 12-125 pump or another external fuel pump?

kitcarbp 05-11-2021 02:02 PM

Edelbrock

In tanks are the best solution these days imo. If you want to keep with an external pump, im using this Edelbrock pump. Its high quality and a little quieter than most and has an internal regulator that is adjustable! Its set at 6.5 psi for their carbs but Im able to adjust it from 5-8 psi in my experience. Im running an Edelbrock carb with it. I have a new build with 800 ish miles and its a great pump so far. Edelbrock also sell a service kit for the pump when its time to replace or clean the internal stainless screen. Its a well designed pump and even though Ive only got 800 miles on it. its nearly 13 years old:LOL:

https://www.edelbrock.com/quiet-flo-...-gph-1791.html

patrickt 05-11-2021 02:14 PM

... or just bolt on an old Carter mechanical pump.:cool:

Cobra 29 05-11-2021 07:07 PM

I would like to run a mechanical pump but my timing cover is for an EFI set up. Right now looking for the best external electric pump solution. After retirement, I will drop the tank and fit an in-tank pump.

55312 05-13-2021 03:28 AM

I've had that Holley Gerotor pump for at least 10 years. It's mounted above the differential and is a pain to get at but I have a lift so that makes it easier. If you're going to put a pump in the tank you'll have lots of room to mount an external pump. You'll have to drop the tank anyway. It's fairly quiet but I can hear it start to pump when I flip the toggle switch so I know it's doing it's job.

Tim

Cobra 29 06-06-2021 10:48 AM

Interior Trunk Panels for SC

Ok, I drilled the holes in the left rear frame, installed nutserts, and mounted the Holley 12-125 pump. Its very quiet. Can hear when I switch on the ignition before the engine starts.

I need to mount the relay and circuit breaker in the trunk next to the battery. Can others show a few pictures of panels installed in their trunks? I believe that I seen some creative solutions from the members before. Thanks

Gaz64 06-06-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra 29 (Post 1493693)
Ok, I drilled the holes in the left rear frame, installed nutserts, and mounted the Holley 12-125 pump. Its very quiet. Can hear when I switch on the ignition before the engine starts.

I need to mount the relay and circuit breaker in the trunk next to the battery. Can others show a few pictures of panels installed in their trunks? I believe that I seen some creative solutions from the members before. Thanks

That's exactly what you want with a carburetor electric pump fuel system.
Easy to service as well.