Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Tremec TKX install into 289FIA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/146074-tremec-tkx-install-into-289fia.html)

seatra 07-07-2022 10:54 AM

Tremec TKX install into 289FIA

Bob,
Has ERA installed a TKX into a chassis yet? It looks like a drop in replacement for the TKO so I figure that it would bolt right in like a TKO. I'm strongly considering a TKX and Quick Time bell for ERA-2164. I'll be bolting this all to a 289. I just want to understand any fitment issues including cross member/support, driveshaft length, clutch, etc.

V/r,
Sean

mrmustang 07-07-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seatra (Post 1508314)
Bob,
Has ERA installed a TKX into a chassis yet? It looks like a drop in replacement for the TKO so I figure that it would bolt right in like a TKO. I'm strongly considering a TKX and Quick Time bell for ERA-2164. I'll be bolting this all to a 289. I just want to understand any fitment issues including cross member/support, driveshaft length, clutch, etc.

V/r,
Sean

Have not do one in a Cobra yet, but helped upgrade a big motor 92 mustang convertible recently, should be a straight bolt in.

Bill S.

Mark IV 07-07-2022 03:34 PM

Bill is correct, the TKX is a dimensional clone of the TKO 500/600. A nut and bolt swap.

patrickt 07-07-2022 04:23 PM

I have never seen a TKX live and in the flesh, but I do know that the TKO has a boss on the right side that you have to grind off flush or you can't get it to clear the ERA's chassis X-brace. I can post pics if somebody actually gives a shi*.:cool:

seatra 07-07-2022 08:38 PM

Thanks for the bolt in confirmation guys!

Patrick, I would like to see the TKO boss mod. The TKX casing is smaller but it may have the same fitment issue with X brace

patrickt 07-08-2022 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seatra (Post 1508334)
Patrick, I would like to see the TKO boss mod. The TKX casing is smaller but it may have the same fitment issue with X brace

This is the TKO boss that requires grinding:

https://i.ibb.co/Dk5dYW9/tkoboss001.jpg

patrickt 07-08-2022 08:42 AM

Here's a pic of a TKX from Summit. It looks like it has the same boss.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...et17805_xl.jpg

patrickt 07-08-2022 09:36 AM

And here's a pic of mine installed. Remember the engine goes in first, then the transmission well behind the engine, then you push it forward to mate. Like everything else on the car, whether it's dropping a transmission, putting in a new relay, or taping up a loose wire, you've got about a quarter inch of clearance to work with.:cool:

https://i.ibb.co/p2HZWVn/tkoboss2001.jpg

Grubby 07-08-2022 09:38 AM

I have a TKX in my garage waiting for 838 to show up. It looks like a direct bolt in for a TKO except it looks like no boss to remove.

John

patrickt 07-08-2022 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1508345)
I have a TKX in my garage waiting for 838 to show up. It looks like a direct bolt in for a TKO except it looks like no boss to remove.

John

Did it look like there ever was a boss? Or did someone just politely remove it for you.:confused:

Grubby 07-08-2022 12:53 PM

Patrick,

The rear of the TKX has a much different shape. Actually the entire trans is smaller and more stream lined.

John

patrickt 07-08-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1508354)
Patrick,

The rear of the TKX has a much different shape. Actually the entire trans is smaller and more stream lined.

John

Hmmm, does your TKX look like the picture I posted above of the TKX from Summit?:confused:

Grubby 07-08-2022 02:39 PM

The picture looks like mine.

John

patrickt 07-08-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1508361)
The picture looks like mine.

John

But you don't have that big-ass boss sticking out the side like a pack of Juicy Fruit?:confused:

mrmustang 07-09-2022 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1508346)
Did it look like there ever was a boss? Or did someone just politely remove it for you.:confused:

I can confirm that the old style boss is not on the new style transmission.

Bill S.

patrickt 07-09-2022 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1508369)
I can confirm that the old style boss is not on the new style transmission.

Well alright, that answers that. Thanks, Bill.

PJ UPTMOR 07-09-2022 07:24 AM

The major issue i had putting the TKX transmission in . Was the spacer alignment. The holes wasn't centered. With the spacer, it pushed the transmission back. On the earlier models Era the emergency brake mount is not removeable so trying to get it aligned and pushed in was a big issue for me.

CobraFIA 09-07-2022 03:43 PM

I have ERA 2163 (sort of; it's at the painters), so yours is sequential to mine. From what I researched, the TKX is a better fit, and also has a higher RPM limit (7,000+ vs. 6,200 for the TKO). I decided on a toploader, due to building a high RPM 331; from what I recall, the RPM difference in fifth would only save around 500 RPMs at 70 mph.