Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   TKOII and Pro 5 Shifter (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/48405-tkoii-pro-5-shifter.html)

DonC 12-23-2003 06:56 AM

TKOII and Pro 5 Shifter

O.K. here's another question from the pain in the butt new guy who doesn't even have his yet.
Anyone using the Pro 5 shifter on a TKO or TKOII? I understand that they provide a shorter throw than the standard shifter.
My interest tends towards, can they be fitted without significant modification of the transmission tunnel and what do you use for a shift lever? Modified stock lever or specially fabricated.
It has to be easier to install when the car is being built but how much trouble is it to put one in later?
Thanks for your tolerance.
DonC

Chaplin 12-23-2003 07:44 AM

Don-
I belive you're getting an ERA, right?

If so, I would not use the Pro 5.0 shifter. I have a TKO II and bought the Pro 5.0 and intended to use it, but I found that the Pro 5.0 shifter sticks out too much through the tunnel- much higher than the stock shifter. I spoke to Doug at ERA and he said that they always use the stock shifter for this reason and he also told me that there are several ERA owners who race that also use the stock shifter with no problem.

Now I've got a brand new Pro 5.0 sitting on my work bench and I'm using the stock shifter, which is working well so far. Incidently, the forward bent ERA handle bolts right up to the either the stock tremec shifter or the Pro 5.0.

Hope this helps.

RedBarchetta 12-23-2003 08:02 AM

Good topic.

If I may ask, who makes a good "stubby" (short) shifter for the TKO for a SPF? I would prefer to stay with the standard mechanism (versus the Pro 5, which would sit up higher). I'm not looking for quicker shifts, more so for a more comfortable arm position (lower).

Thanks! :)

-Deano

Chaplin 12-23-2003 08:55 AM

Red-

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...roducts_id=231

DonC 12-23-2003 08:56 AM

Chaplin:
Thanks for the insight. I kind of had a feeling that, given the photos I'd seen of the unit, it may protrude too much above the tunnel.
Thanks again.
DonC

joea 12-23-2003 09:59 AM

Chaplin...you bummed me out! I just replaced my stock TKOII shifter with a PRO 5.0 and it is ready to go in the car (once it gets here) :CRY:

Are there any alternatives?

Chaplin 12-23-2003 11:36 AM

Joe-
Sorry:rolleyes:

I suppose there is one alternative if you want to use the Pro 5.0. The stock TKO shifter sits higher than a top loader and, therefore, ERA supplies a metal spacer ring that is about 3/8" tall that you install underneath the rubber boot and chrome trim ring. This ring gives you the need clearance to use the TKO shifter with the original style rubber boot and trim ring.

I suppose if you wanted to use the Pro 5.0, you could fabricate a metal spacer ring that is slightly taller than the one ERA provides. Although, I'm not sure how it would look with the rubber boot and chrome trim ring effectively sitting 1/2 to 3/4" off the base of the tunnel.

But something to keep in mind, before you cut the tunnel for the shifter, be certain as to which shifter you are going to use b/c, if I remember correctly, the Pro 5.0 requires a hole slightly larger than the stock shifter. And then if you do decide to use the stock shifter, and you did not cut the hole perfectly, the hole may be too large for the stock shifter and then you have to call Peter and have him send you a new tunnel and carpeting and start all over. Don't ask how I know this:( :(

Carroll DeWeese 12-23-2003 11:40 AM

I have the TKO II with Pro 5.0. I like the combination. I was not trying to get shorter shifts, but more precise shifts. I got shorter and mre percise shifts. I also added a "Jordon Shifter" handle. It is smooth and lacks the "t" extensions on the period handle. It has a period consistent look. You can also use all parts of the handle (top and shaft) without rubbing your hand on hard edges. I can now smoothly and accurately handle lots or power and changing of gears.

joea 12-23-2003 01:16 PM

I've heard great things about the Pro 5.0...but I'm not sure it is worth those mods. I'll probably end up putting the original back on and Ebay-ing the Pro 5.0

Chaplin what r/e gear ratio did you use?

Chaplin 12-23-2003 01:24 PM

I went with a 3.31 rear, which I think is a good combination with the TKO II. 1st is still useable (with 3.54 it would be very short) and I love 5th. Around 70 or 75 , the motor is purring along at about 2600.

RedBarchetta 12-23-2003 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chaplin

Red-
Is this what you're looking for?

Rick,

Not exactly. I saw some on a couple cars at Hillbank Motors in Costa Mesa. I should just give Dennis a call and get the part number. I'm going to get used to the factory shifter first....Who knows? After more driving time I might grow to liking it. :D

-Dean

Jack Zupan 12-24-2003 03:55 AM

Red,

Here's a link to one shifter some of the SPF guys like.

http://www.secondstrike.com/SecondSt...danShifter.htm

Personally I prefer the original look of the reverse bent Mustang shifter.

Rick, do you have any interest in selling your Pro 5.0?

Jack Z.