Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Updated Profile (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/50849-updated-profile.html)

DonC 02-24-2004 12:46 PM

Updated Profile

Just updated my profile after a call from Peter. I now have a chasis number - 684.
Will be ready for Walt Wosko to start getting it ready for paint the week of March 17th.
Wasn't expecting it to be started until about April so I couldn't be happier.
Just talked to Joe Lapine this morning and ordered the engine (428).
Have warned the boss that I will probably not be getting a whole lot of sleep over the next few months.
DonC

TampaFla 02-24-2004 05:12 PM

I hope this means everybody on the waiting list is moving up. Already have the engine/trans being built but was not expecting ERA to do anything on the body until August (8 month waiting list when I put down the deposit in January). Good luck with yours & hope mine is ready early too.

DonC 02-24-2004 06:41 PM

When I spoke to Peter today he mentioned that they were ahead but was afraid to look behind him for fear of what might be catching up. Hope you get your "call" as much in advance as I got mine.
DonC

david katz 04-07-2004 08:46 AM

hey IM #663 I got mine just in time for the winter. talk about not sleeping. it was just siting there, I did use it to heat up the garage a few times though.
now were on the road and running hard...... and the wait was worth it.
good luck too ya.

DonC 04-07-2004 09:37 AM

DMK:
Thanks for the thought. The car is at Connecticut Custom for paint and they should start on it next week. Painting will be 4 weeks to complete and then back to ERA. Once Peter and the ERA elves get it back it should be an estimated 4 to 8 weeks to completion depending on their work load. I'm hoping for around mid june.
The weather here in Oregon is starting to turn (getting some mid 70's days) and it's killing me.
DonC

joea 04-13-2004 10:35 PM

Don,
ERA 676 is inroute to my garage. I stopped at ERA to see my car a few weeks back. Walt and Family at Conn. Custom did an outstanding job on the paint (some pics in my gallery). Of course ERA's work was impecable as well. What color scheme are you going with?

DonC 04-14-2004 06:48 AM

Joe:
Walt is supposed to start the paint this week (fingers crossed). I'm going with a 2003/2004 Ford color called Red Fire Pearl Metallic for the primary color and GM Mettalic Gold stripes.
The red fire is most often seen on Mustangs and is the follow on color to the old Laser Red.
As soon as it's finished I'll get some pictures up.
Probably going to go with the extra layers of clear that Walt puts on for his "show car" finish.
Checked your gallery, very nice job.
DonC

joea 04-14-2004 08:15 PM

Don,
The shine you see on my paint is WITHOUT the extra clear coats

DonC 05-30-2004 09:25 AM

Paint

I finally have visual proof that ERA 684 exists.
Art of NECobraClub (RedSC400) was kind enough to stop by Connecticut Custom Car and take some photos of the car as it came out of the booth. I'll be forever in his debt.
Art's photos have been posted in my gallery.
The base color is Ford Red Fire Pearl Metallic and the stripes are GM Gold Metallic. The opinion of those who have seen it is that the color combination works and that the base color looks good particularly in the sun.
The car should be going back to ERA on Tuesday. Joe Lapine's engine should be arriving there next week as well (428FE). The only major component left is the transmission and that will, in all probability be ordered on Tuesday as well since it looks like the TKO600's are starting to filter in.
Now I get to start destroying whatever mind PeterP has left by seeing how quickly and how many times he can respond to last minute changes.
Now that the final build for this turn-key will be starting the wait, which up to now has been bad but tolerable, should become unbearable.
DonC

TampaFla 05-31-2004 05:17 AM

Been following your thread since Feb. (welding started-number assigned). What wheels are you going with & which rear end? Who's handling the shipping and when do you expect your 1st drive? What top are you putting on (Oregon+rain=Oregon). I've seen that its a "good" idea to have ERA fit the side curtains (not something for amatuers to attempt).

DonC 05-31-2004 06:44 AM

Tampa:
I'll be using 17" wheels 9.5 front 11 rear with Goodyear GS-D3 315/35/17 rear and 275/40/17 in the front. The wheels will be from PSE.
I'm ordering the ERA rear suspension with outboard brakes (owned an XKE Coupe years ago and working on the inboard brakes was a pain). The rear end will be 3.07.
Shipper hasn't been decided yet but will most likely be Rich Lacey or Intercity. Whoever can work me in most effectively with their schedule and mine once the car is finished.
Looking for the first drive to be when the car is finished which may be late July or into August depending on how long Peter and his ERA elves take to wrap it up. As soon as it's done I'll fly back to New Britain for the acceptance inspection and, with luck, a couple of trips around the block. Once the acceptance is done the car will be shipped to Denver where I have a support base with relatives and will spend about 5 days shaking it down. From there I plan on driving it back here to Portland (1200 miles) to "bond" with the car and get some road miles on it.
I'm ordering the top and side curtains (people don't tan in Oregon, they rust) fitted by ERA to extend my driving season a bit.
At least that's the plan at this stage. Given my luck (if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none at all) all of it is subject to change on a moments notice.
DonC

TampaFla 06-01-2004 08:17 AM

Great plan. Only complaint I have about Florida so far (lived in the Virginia mountains until last Fall) is there are no roads worth driving (scenic yes, but...) Now Denver (go there to ski every year) to Oregon, that's a trip worth it. Just keep the shiney side up. No number for mine yet but getting closer - makes old age somewhat more tolerable (have to anticipate something everything else's a memory)....

Almost forgot - you going with pin-drive or bolt on? Is ERA fitting the rear wheels (hub centric) to the Jag hub?

DonC 06-01-2004 10:58 AM

Tampa:
6 pins and ERA will be doing it all so I should be relatively assured that it's done right.
DonC

The Dreamer 06-01-2004 11:57 AM

Just curious, when did you guys place your ERA order?

DonC 06-01-2004 12:51 PM

Dreamer:
I placed my order in June of last year. The frame construction started at the end of Feb and it went to paint the latter part of March. My order is for a turn-key so it will be another couple of months (conservative estimate) now that it is out of paint and heading back to ERA.
DonC

TampaFla 06-01-2004 02:45 PM

Placed my order on 1/24/04. Have the motor, trans, rack & pinion, side pipes and steering wheel sitting in the garage. No date yet for the body but the web site says the wait is only 7 mos. (August) and I'm half way there (still can't decide on the interior or the wheels).

Does keep your interest waiting for it. Thought about getting a "turnkey" but wanted to see what all those mechanics over the years charged me for a "transdifferentintial axel joint misalignment" - this car won't have one.

DonC 10-08-2004 02:09 PM

Too long for a post so attached it as a text file

1 Attachment(s)
The delivery of ERA684 and some first day/first drive stuff.
The odyssey of Denver to Portland will be added as soon as I have time to write it up.
DonC

REDSC400 10-10-2004 05:52 AM

Don!
Your narrative on the new Cobra is priceless! Great Job Amigo!
BTW, get some ear plugs for you and the wife for the long trip back to Oregon.

Best of luck to you.

Art

DonC 10-10-2004 08:11 AM

Art:
Only need the plugs when the top is on. It seems to make the cockpit a big echo chamber. Without the top I notice more wind noise than exhaust note at freeway speeds.
DonC

Metal-morphous 10-10-2004 02:39 PM

Joea - I got a chance to see your cobra when I was picking up a hood at ERA to be aluminum plated by my company, and all I have to say is "Another beautiful job by ERA" Good Luck and drive fast but safe.

Ron Randall

PS
I was at ERA on Friday and saw a black GT40 in the build, who is the owner of that gorgous monster?

[IMG]http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...hood_1-med.jpg [/IMG]