Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Blown fuses and a jumper box (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/53334-blown-fuses-jumper-box.html)

xcobraj 05-02-2004 03:53 PM

Blown fuses and a jumper box

Wanted to test out my wiring job so I hooked a battery box up to the battery cables just to see what would happen.Head lights work,signals work,horn,fan all seemed fine.Instrument light rheostat fuse blew right away.Wiper motor was running but would not shut off then that fuse blew also.I also hae no parking lights.Wiring seems to be plugged in the right spot but I guess not.Any ideas?

clayfoushee 05-02-2004 04:25 PM

Where was the voltage regulator?

xcobraj 05-02-2004 04:55 PM

Over next to the brake reservoir where its mounted

slithering 05-02-2004 06:04 PM

Are you running the circuits that blew a fuse through relays? Have you checked your supply voltage? The instrument lights sounds like a direct short, if it blew instantly. The wiper motor could be a bad ground or lack of a relay. The parking lights could be ground related as well. Do some continuity test to confirm a grounded cicuit. If you need help running test, email me.

Chris

strictlypersonl 05-03-2004 04:59 AM

Wanted to test out my wiring job so I hooked a battery box up to the battery cables just to see what would happen.Head lights work,signals work,horn,fan all seemed fine.Instrument light rheostat fuse blew right away. I also hae no parking lights.>>

The instrument lights and parking lights are on the same fuse. Disconnect the wires at the instrument light rheostat and see whether the fuse still blows. If so, check all the connections at the parking lights. If not, check that none of the R/W wires is grounding out. A less likely problem is a bad instrument light. (I've never seen one.)

<>

I need to know your chassis number for this (or if your wiper plug comes directly from the front harness or is a separate piece.)

xcobraj 05-03-2004 05:59 AM

Chassis number is 656.
Thanks for the help
Joe

charlieb62 05-03-2004 04:29 PM

check what color wires are in the plug for the wiper against the wiring manual, there were 2 wires crossed in my plug also 2 in the regulator plug also. maybe it happened on yours also.