Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Type of clutch for a 427FE (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/55276-type-clutch-427fe.html)

ERA Tom 07-02-2004 09:24 PM

Type of clutch for a 427FE

Bob, what size and brand of diaphragm clutch and pressure plate do you recommend for a street car that will keep pedal pressure to a minimum. Also, do prefer street or a lighter weight flywheel? I am running a 427 of moderate hP. Thanks, Tom

Excaliber 07-02-2004 10:14 PM

I'm very happy with my new McLeod 12" pressure plate and disc I just put in. Nice firm pedal feel, no way to hard. Drives nice, feels right and it's the biggest "street" clutch I could get.

jschiller 07-04-2004 02:02 PM

Ernie...

Do you know what pressure plate you used? I plan on using a McLeod 360651 which is a long style. Did you use a long or diaphragm style?

John

Ikestaa 07-25-2004 07:14 AM

Is Mcleod's application specific for the FE? Just wondering if you had any kind of part # on it. I was driving ours (dad's ;) ) yesterday and one of two things slipped...tires or clutch. I initially thought clutch, but I could never smell anything.

Excaliber 07-25-2004 11:23 AM

The McLeod I have is a BIG input clutch disc (specific to a top loader) but the disc material itself I guess could be used on any application. I have a 428 flywheel so the disc and pressure plate match that. It replaces an 11.5" unit (which was NOT McLeod).

On the flywheel side it has a series of "pucks", like hockey pucks, that contact the flywheel. On the trans side it is a standard clutch full face clutch type material.

Good pedal feel, and does not "lock up" as soon as it starts to engage like a full "race" clutch would. Best of both worlds, street and track.

Call Chris (engine builder) at Shelby Enterprises for more info and to order. 310-538-2914