Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Anybody running a Richmond 5 Speed behind a FE (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/58063-anybody-running-richmond-5-speed-behind-fe.html)

ERA Tom 10-18-2004 08:51 AM

Anybody running a Richmond 5 Speed behind a FE

Hello all. My ERA will be using a 427 with a Richmond 5 speed. I currently have the Hayes 12-240 steel flywheel, the Lakewood 15210 scatter shield, and the 7041710 Richmond 5 speed with a 1 1/8" 26 Ford spine input shaft.

Here's where I'm confused. I haven't found an 11" clutch and pressure plate with the 1 1/8" 26 spine advertised for a Ford, only GM. If I buy the 11' clutch and pressure plate for the GM setup, do I need to buy the GM throw-out bearing and fork? So, if anybody could shed some light on what I need, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

strictlypersonl 10-18-2004 10:10 AM

The "trick" is to use the GM driven disk (we us the McLeod brand ) with the Ford pressure plate, throwout bearing and fork.

ERA Tom 10-18-2004 11:48 AM

Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob. Will the McCleod/GM 11" 1 1/8" 26 clutch plate work with any 11" Ford pressure plate and throw-out bearing, or does it need to be used with a specific type pressure plate such as diaphram, long style or Bork & Beck ? Thanks, again- Tom

strictlypersonl 10-18-2004 02:48 PM

Weber 360033: 11" FE PRESS PLATE, 12 7/8" Circle (DIAPHRAM)

Weber 360850: 12 3/8" CIRCLE, (DIAPHRAM)

There's a diagram here to measure your pressure plate mounting pattern.

RICK LAKE 10-18-2004 03:52 PM

ERA TOM Tom the 2 flywheels a have are drilled for both Ford and GM clutches, 11.0" I have a GM input on both my trans. Use the same Lakewood Shield as your. Have the ERA clutch fork that is modified. Everything works fine. Put a limiter on the pedal like it says in the manual from ERA. You should have no problem. Rick Lake

ERA Tom 10-18-2004 05:17 PM

Rick, what pressure plate and clutch are you running?

Thanks, Tom

RICK LAKE 10-19-2004 03:13 AM

TomERA Tom I am using a GM clutch from centerforce. I REMOVED the wieghts because the thing wouldn't shift over 3500 rpm. The lockup on the pressure plate caused this problem. Your clutch may be drilled for both 11" clutches. I go racing once a year and it is very hard on the clutch so if it blows, I have to options, Ford or GM to fine parts to fix the car. I am not limited to just Ford. Have had no problem with the setup in 5 years. :) Just a burning smell after 1/4 mile runs:eek: It's all good. Rick Lake

grumpy 10-19-2004 06:40 AM

Rick,
All Chevy clutch plates smell that way!
grumpy

Jim Holden 10-20-2004 02:14 PM

ERA Tom:

The Richmond Gear (formerly DN 4+1) setup is a great combo with the big block FE. I had the setup on my first two ERA427SCs. The first car had 2.88 rear gear and the second a 3.08.

The better shifter is made by Long Machine in PA. It will require some modification to center the shift handle in the center of the tunnel.

Jim

ERA Tom 10-20-2004 07:11 PM

Thanks Jim. Since you have owned serveral ERA's, I'll ask you one more question on this topic and then I promise to ask no more. Where did you find a clutch plate alignment tool for aligning the clutch plate. All the plastic ones I've found so far for the 1 1/8" x 26 input shaft have the smaller GM pilot size. The Ford pilot shaft is much larger. Thanks to everybody for their comments. - Tom

CJ428CJ 10-21-2004 07:00 AM

Tom,

I'm running the same combo. An FE with the Richmond 5spd with 2.88 gears. I couldn't find a cheapy plastic clutch alignment tool either so I bought a more expensive metal one from my local Carquest auto parts store. The one I bought is universal. I think it cost me about $20. It came with several different pilot bushing pieces. You screw the right size one onto the end of the shaft. The clutch plate portion of the tool is tapered so it fits various size clutch plates. It wasn't the greatest but it got the job done. If you can't picture what I'm describing, let me know. I can take a picture and post it tonight if you want to see it.

Chris

ERA Tom 10-21-2004 07:13 AM

Thanks Chris

I'll check it out at CC. If you want to post the pics that would be good to.- Tom