Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Replacing Emblems (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/59138-replacing-emblems.html)

cobra de capell 11-24-2004 11:05 AM

Replacing Emblems

I need to replace all my emblems - looks like the original ones are on the car when it was built by ERA in the late '80's - they appear to have some sort of rubbery stuff on the inside and I started to remove some, but thought I should see if that is a good first step and I don't want to mess this task up.

Could someone tell me how they are actually attached? Also, what is needed to re-attach?

Thanks.

tfarhood 11-24-2004 01:58 PM

I don't know if the ERA emblems are attached through the body or just adheared to it. The best way to remove an emblem that was adheared with silicone or other flexible sealant is to use fishing line like it was a piece of dental floss between the body and emblem. It won't scratch the paint, and cuts the silicone so the emblem can come off without scraping the body.

Good luck.

strictlypersonl 11-24-2004 03:02 PM

We always installed the emblems with push-nuts on the stud but it sounds like yours are stuck on with adhesive.

If you can see the push-nut on the stud from the back, they can be pried off or pulled off with needle-nose pliers.

To remove one that's held on with silicone, carefully apply masking tape all around the emblem. Then, use a very thin putty knife or thin blade to first cut through the adhesive, then pry it off.

Dwight 11-24-2004 03:57 PM

USE DENTAL FLOSS

Goober 11-24-2004 04:34 PM

I aggree with Algunruner. Use a strong fishing line or floss and tie a pencil to each end so you have something to pull with. Pull with back and forth motions and it will come right off without damaging the paint. What's left will come off with mild adhesive remover.
Mark

strictlypersonl 11-25-2004 03:48 AM

Dental floss! Great idea! But can I reuse it later? :3DSMILE:

Anthony 11-25-2004 04:07 AM

Dental Floss ? mint flavored, waxed, or unwaxed, which works the best?

PatBuckley 11-25-2004 07:39 AM

Waxed.

Tie a knot in it every half inch and it will act like a lubricated saw...

Pat Buckley

(I just made that up - should work though, huh?)

cobra de capell 11-25-2004 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by strictlypersonl

We always installed the emblems with push-nuts on the stud but it sounds like yours are stuck on with adhesive.

If you can see the push-nut on the stud from the back, they can be pried off or pulled off with needle-nose pliers.

To remove one that's held on with silicone, carefully apply masking tape all around the emblem. Then, use a very thin putty knife or thin blade to first cut through the adhesive, then pry it off.

Actually, mine are installed with push-nuts on the stud with some sort of rubbery stuff on the inside of the body around the push-nuts and studs. I can easily remove the rubbery stuff and use the pliers as suggested. I suppose the rubbery stuff will remain a mystery to me, but as long as the new emblems stay put - I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all the input on this thread.