Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   ERA Headlight Replacement (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/59274-era-headlight-replacement.html)

cobra de capell 11-29-2004 07:41 AM

ERA Headlight Replacement

I need to replace one of my headlights. Is the ERA headlight something that I can pick up locally - like a specific type, etc.?

Sorry for such a lame question - I'm a Cobra owner/driver, not one that knows much about cars. But I'm having fun learning!

Thanks.

TampaFla 11-29-2004 08:06 AM

Owner's Manual says that headlights are #6014 (would guess this applies to any brand name?-e.g Sylvania, GE, etc).

REDSC400 11-29-2004 08:08 AM

CDC:
If you are going to replace one, then perhaps this is the opportune time to think about the Lucas PL Tripod headlamp.
Take a look in my gallery, I think I have a picture of them on 375.
I got mine from a Morgan dealer but XKs Unlimited in California sells new old stock. With lamps the PLs run about $99 per.

Although not actually correct, I get more positive comments on these lights than I care to recount. They are quite brite as well. Prior to these I had a pair of Hella beams which were also fine.

cobra de capell 11-30-2004 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by REDSC400

CDC:
If you are going to replace one, then perhaps this is the opportune time to think about the Lucas PL Tripod headlamp.
Take a look in my gallery, I think I have a picture of them on 375.
I got mine from a Morgan dealer but XKs Unlimited in California sells new old stock. With lamps the PLs run about $99 per.

Although not actually correct, I get more positive comments on these lights than I care to recount. They are quite brite as well. Prior to these I had a pair of Hella beams which were also fine.

That's the ticket. Unlimited in California? Please provide the full name as I'm not familar with Unlimited.

All input is appreciated.

REDSC400 12-03-2004 07:23 AM

XKs Unlimited is a really nice shop in California. They are also a Shelby continuation dealer and as such the parts guy out there is quite familiar with the Cobra. I got some SW gauges from them in the past.

you can find them on the web at www.xksunlimited.com

I would perhaps do this transaction on the phone and talk to the parts counter guy and insure that they are in stock. They advertise the PL headlamps all the time in CLASSIC MOTORSPORTS magazine (formerly BRITISH CAR).

XKs has a wonderful catalog for Jaguar parts.

Hope this helps you out.

mpotito 01-14-2005 04:15 PM

You can get a pair of reproduction Lucas P700 Tri-Bar headlights for $69.95 plus shipping.
They are not exact but very good. They are made by Sylvania with halogen bulbs. The web site appears below.

http://www.shoppalstores.com/kustomk.../8422/id/46600

cobra de capell 02-01-2005 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpotito

You can get a pair of reproduction Lucas P700 Tri-Bar headlights for $69.95 plus shipping.
They are not exact but very good. They are made by Sylvania with halogen bulbs. The web site appears below.

http://www.shoppalstores.com/kustomk.../8422/id/46600

Thanks for the lead - stated "Fits all 7 inch standard diameter lights" - is that what I have?

Also - even more lame, how does one change a headlight on a ERA Cobra - I swear that I know how to change a headlight on regular cars, but not this one.

mpotito 02-01-2005 01:50 PM

Yes you have 7" lights. They fit perfectly on my ERA # 695.

cobra de capell 02-02-2005 09:03 AM

Thanks - they have been ordered - I guess I'll attempt to put them in myself - it must be relatively simple.

SCOBRAC 02-02-2005 10:11 AM

a screw holding on the bezel. three more on the inner ring. piece of cake.

cobra de capell 02-04-2005 07:48 AM

Thanks - I should have looked a little closer at the bezel.

mpotito 02-04-2005 01:37 PM

Hey....I recognise the women in your photo gallery!

cobra de capell 02-05-2005 08:56 AM

I got that picture off the web, so perhaps you know that women. Thank her.