Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Is an upgraded fan available? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/65968-upgraded-fan-available.html)

Carnut427 07-05-2005 08:34 PM

Is an upgraded fan available?

I just got my iron Genesis 496 (aluminum Edelbrock heads) running in ERA #338. Temp is fine above 35 mph or so, but overheats below that. I still have the original copper radiator and single puller fan. The radiator seems to be doing it's job, but is a better fan available?
Thanks,
Dan

SCOBRAC 07-05-2005 09:37 PM

Flexalite Black magic will fit like a glove. It pulls 2800 cfm. I upgraded mine last winter and ran it the other day in town at idle, stop lights, typical stop and go California traffic in 100 degree heat. It never got over 192 degrees with a 195 thermostat.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

Carnut427 07-05-2005 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info, SCOBRAC. I'll keep it in mind. It's only 85* here, so the problem will be worse when it gets warmer. I'm wondering how much of the problem is because it's a new motor, although I don't remember having any issues with the original 427.

lamaluv 07-06-2005 07:25 AM

My 428 PI engine would get up to 220 in stop and go traffic in warm weather with the two front pusher fans. After putting in the ERA "heavy duty" puller fan it now runs at 195. It was a tight fit but my car is an "older model" ERA. This weekend (95 degrees) at the drags, even while waiting in the staging lines at idle the temp was fine. Peter at ERA felt that the heavy duty puller with the two pushers was overkill but I wanted peace of mind. I remember in the old days the pain of boil overs and vapor locks on my 66 427 Vette.

Dick

strictlypersonl 07-06-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SCOBRAC

Flexalite Black magic will fit like a glove....
So - you've fit one to an ERA?

BLACKJACK 08-05-2005 10:31 AM

I HAD THE SHAFT BEARING ON MY FAN DEPART RATHER UNCERIMONIOUSLY. IT HAD DONE AN ADEQUATE JOB OF COOLING.

I GOT A NEW "SPALL" FAN FROM ERA AND IT DROPPED RIGHT IN. IT'S FANTASTIC. 95 DEGREE WEATHER IN VIRGINIA THIS SUMMER AND I'VE NOT SEEN OVER 185 DEGREES - AND THAT'S IN HEAVY TRAFFIC. I HAVE AN OLDER BRASS RADIATOR AS WELL.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK

ERA Chas 08-05-2005 03:51 PM

Carnut,

Based on my experience, change the rad., not the fan.
I installed the new Griffin alloy rad from ERA and cured my heat problems. Saved 15 pounds over cop/brass too.
It's not difficult either.

Carnut427 08-05-2005 10:36 PM

ERA Chas, I'm glad you had such good luck with YOUR problem. MY problem, on the other hand, is the fan. Now that the motor has broken in a bit, it's doing much better. I have one of ERA's heavy duty units on the way... at least that's what Peter told me a couple weeks ago???
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

FUNFER2 08-06-2005 12:57 PM

Can one of you guys with the ERA cobra, tell me what the measurements are & what the cost is for the fan. I'de appreciate it.
Thanks

lamaluv 08-06-2005 02:27 PM

FUNFER2, I just measured my heavy duty fan in the car and the measurements aren't exact but are very close. 17 5/8 " across the top, 18 1/4 " down and the fan motor sticks out about 3". The cost from ERA was $290 in June but check with Peter at ERA and he can give you a price with shipping.

Dick

FUNFER2 08-08-2005 08:36 AM

Thanks Dick, I appreciate your time.
Kev

CJ428CJ 08-08-2005 05:13 PM

If you want to see a side by side comparison of the ERA heavy duty fan vs the standard fan, look here: http://www.chuckbrandt.com/living.htm

I guess I'll be ordering one too. I've never had overheating problems before but the 100+ degree weather combined with stop and go cruising (mostly stop) at Hot August Nights this year was too much for my ERA. While temperatures that extreme while sitting in stop and go traffic is rare for me, it's also a pain when it happens.

Chris

FUNFER2 08-08-2005 06:15 PM

Do you have a shroud for your fan ? I don't as of yet. I know it would help. I'll either have to make one, buy a fan that comes with one or Jeg's has a chrome universal. What was the cost of your fan & do you know the part order number ? I've also heard that a twin fan covers more of the radiator so cooling is more efficient ?
Thanks,
kev