Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Parts for a FIA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/67301-parts-fia.html)

ERA289FIA 02-21-2006 08:18 AM

Parts for a FIA

I have a fia that hopefully will be finished sometime in april and was wondering if there are any parts that were differcult to get ahold of for anyone who has already built one.
The car is a roller and i think i have pretty much gotten the engine/trand worked out but was curious if there was anything you guys would suggest i just get from era when i go pick up the car. thanks

strictlypersonl 02-21-2006 10:17 AM

If we've included the emergency brake handle and cables with your package, there's not much else. If you're impatient and/or don't want to parts-shop, we can supply all the water hoses and clamps too.

Tongue Pirate 02-21-2006 11:14 AM

Sit down & write out a list of everything your going to want in the form of options. Save yourself the shipping costs. THe manual lists most of the hoses etc you'll need. I haven't had too much of a problem with parts being back ordered from ERA or finding the simple things from local suppliers.

Ron Going 02-21-2006 07:10 PM

I used ERA's parts on my FIA #2095. No problems at all, it was a roller also.

ERA289FIA 02-21-2006 08:14 PM

I suppose i can get my own hoses and clamps:)
thanks.
I am losing my mind waiting on this car. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tongue Pirate 02-22-2006 05:50 AM

Many us us have been through the same. We're here to counsel & coddle you:LOL:

ERA289FIA 02-22-2006 09:05 PM

thanks, i think i am going to drive myself crazy trying to find tyhe right motor.:JEKYLHYDE

Tongue Pirate 02-22-2006 09:20 PM

Duhhh! A 289 w/ Webers....:3DSMILE: Are you having a motor built or are you going with a crate? What type of HorsePower are you wanting?

ERA289FIA 02-22-2006 11:33 PM

i would like to have it built and have been talking to steve sunshine but they are kinda backed up. I have also been debating a crate but steve is closeish so if somthing goes majorly wrong i can put it on my trailer and take it up there. as for HP...350-450. anywhere in there. looking for smoothe power and reliability over just off the line muscle. I love the weber look but am nervous about the setup and they are a little expensive. I was debating going to a few junkyards around and seeing what looked interesting. i would like to rebuild it myself but i don't think i have the knowhow or equip. other option is a longblock. i dunno, kinda stuck. I am going to make some calls tomm.

Tongue Pirate 02-23-2006 05:46 AM

The original FIA cars were running about 370hp. Just goes to prove that big HP isn't needed in these cars. They are very light & ERA can set up the rear gearing to work around your engine/trans. On my next motor I will likely shoot for around 350-400 tops. I'm probably around 300hp now & losing traction isn't dificult, nor does the car feel a bit sluggish.

ZOERA-SC7XX 02-23-2006 03:35 PM

I think the biggest bang for your buck would be with a Ford crate engine...there are several small block variations and would probably cost half what you will spend having a custom made unit. Good luck.
By the way, who's doing your paint work? ERA has a couple of very capable painters close by that they use for their turn key cars. After knocking my head against a wall with my local guy, I decided to use one of their guys...could save you lots of time and grief.

ERA289FIA 02-23-2006 07:20 PM

their painting it. I think a crate motor is how i am going to go but get a long block and send it to the builders w/ heads and a carb and let them set it up.
I am wondering what color, i was thinking about BRG but i also like black and dark dark red w/ black stripes. i dunno :)

FrankJohnson69 02-24-2006 11:38 AM

Howdy ERA289FIA,

I have an excellent engine builder who's close to route 50 and 495. Precision Machine. Call Jan or his son Michael 301-779-5808. I have a Mexican block (sick strong) with screw in freeze plugs sitting there waiting to do something with it. They've done my 428 and small block ford for my '65 mustang GT. These guys welcome visitors and do very custom builds. Jan is also a professor at U of MD in automotive engineering and has done work with Johns Hopkins APL. This guy is a mad scientist when it comes to engines. They are very reasonable and I can’t stress how good their work is.

Hope to meet ya one day soon

Frank
ERA-722