Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   got the motor, car will be along soon! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/70607-got-motor-car-will-along-soon.html)

ERA289FIA 06-25-2006 06:04 PM

got the motor, car will be along soon!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...0/IMG_3453.JPG
302/331 block
302 Block
Scat balanced rotating assembly - .040 Forged Pistons, Steel Crank, 4340 Rods, Solid Flat Tappet and lifters, ARP Head Studs, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap Intake Manifold, AFR Cylinder Heads 185cc cnc ported, One Piece hardened Pushrods 7.100, Melling Oil Pump, Wix Racing Oil Filter, Comp Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rockers 3/8 stud, Ford Motorsports Flywheel – 157 tooth 50 oz., Canton Oil Pan, Canton Oil Pump Pickup.
I have not had it running yet but cannot wait. car is back from paint and is hopefully getting stuck together this week. It's coming as a roller and i am driving up to pick it up.

Rick Parker 06-25-2006 07:50 PM

Looks very nice!

*13* 06-25-2006 09:09 PM

It's lot easier to put the webers on before the engine is installed:D Actually it looks realy nice! Congrats!

FrankJohnson69 06-25-2006 09:29 PM

Precision Engine...

Same folks who do all of my engines.

You can't go wrong with Jan and Michael at Precision.

Yours looks fantastic!!!

Frank
ERA-722

Ron Going 06-25-2006 09:46 PM

Great looking engine! You're going to find that the full sized oil filter isn't going to fit once you try to drop the engine into the car. Especially with the adapter block for the oil cooler if you are getting one. A lot of us with ERA FIA's are running a WIX 51311. They fit nicely even with the adapter block. Have fun.....I know you will.

Ron

*13* 06-26-2006 05:47 AM

The wix is a good filter too! I bought a few for a comparison & most don't stand up in quality compared to the wix.

Lindy 06-26-2006 09:41 AM

I may be in the market (as of yesterday) for a new engine.

Would you mind sending me a PM with the price that you paid for yours? I am currently considering Keith Kraft and Roush, and may need a new engine fairly quickly.

Thank You!

FrankJohnson69 06-26-2006 09:59 AM

Lindy,

Where are you located?

These guys are a father and son team in Hyattsville, Maryland and don't do crate engines (yet). Jan (the dad) is also a professor at University of Maryland in the Engineering department. He holds classes at the shop for students in the engineering program. The guy is scary smart. He knows every old school trick to get horse power and has many new school tricks I cold never understand. I believe he holds advance degrees in fluid dynamics. Michael (the son) is just as smart. And both are as honest and nice as the day is long.

So far they've completed 2 engines of mine with a third on the way (FE and small block Fords) but they are well versed in anything and everything (to include work for the Smithsonian Museum on some really old weird stuff).

I'd suggest giving them a call at 301-779-6633 and talk to them. They'll give you the straight scoop and build something to your needs and wants.

Good luck,
Frank
ERA-722

Lindy 06-26-2006 10:17 AM

Frank,

Thank you. I will give them a call.

Snakebit 06-26-2006 01:04 PM

With the AFR 185 heads, did you get the solid lifter spring upgrade with 1.9" valves? Engine looks great. 331 is the way to go!

PrecisionEngine 06-26-2006 03:32 PM

Nice 331

First of all I would like to thank both Frank and Wilson for all of their props. It has been a pleasure dealing with everyone from the club. I thought I would jump in here and help out with any specifics you might want to know about frank's 428 or 302 or wilson's 331.

Back to Snakebit's question. The valves in the AFR 185 Street/Strip Outlaw heads are a 2.02 intake and a 1.6 exhaust. I did change the springs from what AFR originally had on them to compliment the cam that I chose. Which is a solid flat tappet with .250/.250 duration at .050. With a lift of .569/.569. This does sound like a lot of cam, but because this car is so light and a manual transmission, we can get away with that. Plus its supposed to sound badass isn't it?

Again thanks for all the support guys!

Michael Norris
Precision Engine Machine Co.
301-779-5808

DavidNJ 06-26-2006 04:32 PM

What block did you use?

FrankJohnson69 06-27-2006 07:24 AM

David I can only speak for myself here...

For my "tame" 302 I used a stock 1990 block.

For my "radical" 331 that is still with Precision it's a Mexican 302 block with the heavy duty caps.

My 428 FE engine is a 1966 Police Interceptor block.

PrecisionEngine 06-27-2006 08:01 AM

We used a 1980 block that we completely machined. Hot tanked, magna-fluxed, sonic tested, align honed with the steel stud girdle, bored to .040, honed with a plate, decked. Tapped the oil galleys. Basically the works.