Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Push Button Start Switch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/75612-push-button-start-switch.html)

Snakebit 01-03-2007 09:30 AM

Push Button Start Switch

Bob, I would like to install a push button start switch with a flip up ignition switch. I would like to use the keyed ignition switch as an on off switch.

The start procedure would be the following secquence: Turn the key to the on or run position. Use the push button start switch to crank over the engine. Flip up the remote ignition switch to turn on the ignition and start the engine.

How do I wire up the remote start switch and flip up ignition switch off the original keyed ignition switch?

The keyed ignition switch ia an AC Delco with Batt., AC., IGN., and Start terminals for an ERA FIA

mr0077 01-03-2007 10:25 AM

Run jumpers...one would go from the keyed switch IGN to one terminal of the toggle switch, and move the wire that was on the keyed switch IGN to the second toggle terminal; the other jumper would go from the keyed switch Start terminal to one terminal of the push button (I used the horn button switch like Jag E-types), and move the wire that was on the keyed switch Start terminal to the second push button terminal.
I'm assuming you're using the keyed switch for security?

trularin 01-03-2007 10:29 AM

I ran the fuel pump and ignition through the flip switch to kill it all. I wired my car from scratch, but if you can figure out how to kill both, it would be better.

BTW, I have the setup that you are trying for, but I require the keyswitch AND the pushbutton to start the car. Got the PB from Pegasus Racing.

Hope this helps.

:D

Snakebit 01-03-2007 10:31 AM

If I use a jumper from the start terminal to the push button, would I still have to turn the key all the way to start and push the start button at the same time to crank the engine?

I want to use the key switch for security just for an on off switch.

strictlypersonl 01-04-2007 04:59 AM

I've put up a page with all the possible function possibilties here.

mr0077 01-04-2007 05:12 AM

Snakebit, my post was a bit incorrect, as shown in Bob's post...if you want the switch for security (must be in the run position for stuff to happen), and the toggle for switching the ignition on, and the button to crank the motor, change my post as follows:

One [jumper] would go from the keyed switch IGN to one terminal of the toggle switch, and move the wire that was on the keyed switch IGN to the second toggle terminal [this makes the toggle the ignition switch]; the other jumper would go from the keyed switch IGN [not the Start] terminal to one terminal of the push button...and move the wire that was on the keyed switch Start terminal to the second push button terminal [this makes the push button the starter or "crank" switch].

The way I originally described it you would end up having to push the button and turn the keyed switch to start...if you had enough hands.

Be aware that this will allow the motor to crank with the switch on but the toggle must be flipped "on" before the motor will start.

Snakebit 01-04-2007 05:30 AM

Thanks for your help Bob, you always come to the rescue.

strictlypersonl 01-04-2007 08:35 AM

I've added some more information to the page so you may want to revisit it...