Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Everett-Morrison Motorcars -- Speak with Julie and Brett (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/everett-morrison-motorcars-speak-julie-brett/)
-   -   Any new 2009-2010 EM gen IV builders out there? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/everett-morrison-motorcars-speak-julie-brett/105775-any-new-2009-2010-em-gen-iv-builders-out-there.html)

Dennis Mosley 07-23-2010 06:04 PM

Any new 2009-2010 EM gen IV builders out there?

Looking for new EM owners/builders. Even better if you are in TX.

Sold the EM I built in 1999. Loved that car but after 10 yrs. I was ready to build a new one with some of the "if I could do this again" ideas that I had. Now I'm wanting to know a little about the new version from actual owners. How well did it go together. My first one went together with no problem but I had Bob Speding (sp) from the old Florida based EM, talking me through the process.

Only couple things I didn't really like about my EM was that when using my 428 FE block I had very little road clearance under the Canton oil pan and bell housing, even after I trimmed it. Bob told me that was a known problem and sent me some shims but that never worked. I used the corvette suspension all around and the offset on the front made the insers on my team III wheel stick out quite a bit and I couldn't get much dish in the rear rims due to the width of the suspension. Have either of those issues been addressed in the Gen IV car?

Also, what would you guys think of a step by step video of one of these going together. Do you think it would provide any benefit to new builders?

I'm not far from the EM shop here in Houston so it kind of makes sense to look into making my next build an EM.

Dennis Mosley 07-25-2010 06:30 PM

Not one builder out there? that seems strange.

Tommy 07-25-2010 07:14 PM

This forum was down for much of the time between your first and second posts. Give it a little more time. Also, visit the Everett-Morrison Motorcars Group under the Social Groups heading. You might find someone that you can contact directly via PM. Good luck.

Excobrabuilder 07-26-2010 10:52 AM

I was employed by E-M from 2001 until they moved. I would have to say the Gen IV is an improvement over the older E-M. It uses Mustang Cobra suspension, so you should have better luck with ground clearance and wheel offset. We were working on a manual for builders when the owners decided to sell the company. I have no idea if it was ever finished or if a construction video was ever made. I still get E-mails from Bob and he tells me he reads posts on Club Cobra forum. He also said he has talked with the new owners and they are building cars. I can not personally speak for their product, but I think with a few tweeks the Gen IV E-M kit is among the best availible. I wish I still worked for them. I had a lot of fun building cars for them! I hope I have helped you out. Good luck.

Dennis Mosley 07-26-2010 01:17 PM

Thanks Excobrabuilder!

I talk to the new owners from time to time. They are nice people. They are right down the road a bit. Houston has a very active Cobra group and I keep trying to get them to become regular club participants.

Great info on the offsets and clearance. I'm just trying to get some info from a recent builder on the ease of assembly. When I did my first one, my car building knowledge was very low and EM made the whole thing seem easy with great customer service and Bob's rapid response to all the stupid questions I had on how to put the thing together.

Next time you talk to Bob, tell him Dennis said Hi.

Excobrabuilder 07-28-2010 08:50 AM

Hey Dennis,

Just about every pre-Gen IV E-M kit was made-to-order and could be a bear assembling. The whole idea behind the Gen IV was parts consistancy so the assembly would be much easier. We had some vendor issues early in the production of the Gen IV so assembly could be a challenge. But I would bet the new owners have that all figured out and the kit assembly should be breeze by even a shade tree mechanic. Once again, I can not speek for the Texas made Gen IV as I too have not heard from anyone who has assembled one. But if you would rather stick with the E-M kit I myself would say get one. I drove a few while employed at E-M here in Florida and I would compare it performance wise to anything else out there. Good luck with what ever you choose to get and I'll pass your hello onto Bob.

Dave, excobrabuilder

madmaxx 07-28-2010 10:37 AM

I would continue to pursue references on a new EM build. I read numerous post on this forumn of customers finding it difficult to get a hold of the owners etc. I thought the brand was dead, but could be wrong.

Dennis Mosley 07-30-2010 08:01 AM

Madmaxx,

I'm still looking but with almost 200 views and not one builder of a Gen IV to respond, still seems kind of weird to me. CC is the largest multi-brand cobra forum that I know of. Somebody on this fourm has to have built one.

I've been to the factory, and it's a damn nice looking kit. Julie and Tom are nice and have told me about the car but like with anything else, the manufacture is in selling mode and really isn't going to tell you where the hic ups are. That's why I'm looking for a "regular guy" builder. I've spent LOTS of hrs building and helping to build Cobras over the last 10 years so I know I can build it. Just want a little insight.

Feel free to send me the info in a PM if you like.

Z-linkCobra 07-30-2010 08:21 AM

With all the weather issues they had a few years back and moving the shop Im not sure there were many kits sold. Also due to the fact that they wont answer the phone im not sure there are too many happy customers at this point. I know I have had some questions about my build and have not been able to get much help from them at all. Most of my stuff is custom and one off but it does help to be able to know what was intended to be there.

I have an older era E-M that I am building so I couldnt tell you about the newer versions....sorry.

Just trying to give you some insight as to why you might not be getting any responces.

Just to make sure everyone understand. I did not buy my kit from E-M, I bought third or fourth or fifth hand. I however feel regardless of how or where I came about owning a kit that they produced I should still be able to get some support.

Gene

Dennis Mosley 07-30-2010 02:38 PM

Gene, feel free to PM me with any question on your older build. I had a lot of fun putting mine together and taking it apart and putting it back together again. I will be more than happy to help where I can. I think I even still have the builders manual around here somewhere.

Z-linkCobra 07-31-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Mosley (Post 1068182)
Gene, feel free to PM me with any question on your older build. I had a lot of fun putting mine together and taking it apart and putting it back together again. I will be more than happy to help where I can. I think I even still have the builders manual around here somewhere.

Dennis I appreciate that very much. Its slowly coming together. Hopefully by this time next year it will be done....hopefully...lol.

Gene

Excobrabuilder 07-31-2010 08:39 PM

Up until the Gen IV kit nearly everything E-M built was made to order. When the new owners took over they were handed a cabinet full of blueprints of all the older kit parts. That in itself makes it very hard for the new owners to know exactly how to answer questions about older kits. I hope everyone takes that into concideration and understands their situation. This forum is probably a better source of info about construction anyway. Hope you are able to find answers about your kit, Gene.

I'm trying to reconnect with some Gen IV owners here in Florida. If I can I'll try and put them in touch with you, Dennis. I'd love to see both of you get your cars going. Best of luck to you.

Dave, excobrabuilder

ceslaw 08-04-2010 03:31 PM

I built a Gen IV. Splendid car. From the stainless steel chassis to the specific manufactured suspension bits, it was a very nice kit. Lots of attention to detail: like tie downs for hauling on a trailer and oil pressure cut out switch. Put a Genesis 427 in it. I have a detailed 'book' documenting our build and would be happy to send you a copy if you PM me an address. We built ours just before Bret Everett sold out while EM was still in Florida.

mansfieldartguy 08-28-2010 04:17 PM

Hi I am new on here and I was interested in buying an EM because you can buy it in "phases" I was wondering if anyone could give me a price for it. I can find it any where on there website. Thanks

madmaxx 08-28-2010 04:20 PM

You wrote "I can find it any where on there website. " Should that not tell you something? What is wrong with Hurricane or factory five? where owners post on CC on a dailey basis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansfieldartguy (Post 1074632)
Hi I am new on here and I was interested in buying an EM because you can buy it in "phases" I was wondering if anyone could give me a price for it. I can find it any where on there website. Thanks

mansfieldartguy 08-28-2010 04:22 PM

Nothing If anything I would go with factory five, because of the amount of people who buy and their price.

Dennis Mosley 08-29-2010 02:35 PM

If you are still interested in EM, they are still around. I talked to them a little over a week ago.

lenco12 09-24-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Mosley (Post 1067062)
Thanks Excobrabuilder!

I talk to the new owners from time to time. They are nice people. They are right down the road a bit. Houston has a very active Cobra group and I keep trying to get them to become regular club participants.

Great info on the offsets and clearance. I'm just trying to get some info from a recent builder on the ease of assembly. When I did my first one, my car building knowledge was very low and EM made the whole thing seem easy with great customer service and Bob's rapid response to all the stupid questions I had on how to put the thing together.

Next time you talk to Bob, tell him Dennis said Hi.

Just about every pre-Gen IV E-M kit was made-to-order and could be a bear assembling. The whole idea behind the Gen IV was parts consistancy so the assembly would be much easier. We had some vendor issues early in the production of the Gen IV so assembly could be a challenge. But I would bet the new owners have that all figured out and the kit assembly should be breeze by even a shade tree mechanic. Once again, I can not speek for the Texas made Gen IV as I too have not heard from anyone who has assembled one. But if you would rather stick with the E-M kit I myself would say get one. I drove a few while employed at E-M here in Florida and I would compare it performance wise to anything else out there. Good luck with what ever you choose to get and I'll pass your hello onto Bob.

tony198793 10-27-2011 08:42 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cuinsurance.org/jie1.jpg
http://www.cuinsurance.org/jie2.jpg
http://www.cuinsurance.org/jie4.jpg

cay5628 12-05-2013 07:15 PM

I'm building an EM Gen IV. The chassis has gone together quite well. Parts availability to finish has been spotty sometimes disappointing. I still believe it is a high quality car overlooking the parts challenges.

I've not been on these forums for sometime and have let the car sit, due to work and life in general. I been at it for almost 4 years now and will eventually get it done once I have all required parts to finish it. I recently got the urge to focus on this project again and will give it due diligence to get it done before this coming spring (keep my paws crossed).

-Mark