Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Everett-Morrison Motorcars -- Speak with Julie and Brett (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/everett-morrison-motorcars-speak-julie-brett/)
-   -   type III or type IV (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/everett-morrison-motorcars-speak-julie-brett/136706-type-iii-type-iv.html)

Scottshyne 06-11-2016 12:09 PM

type III or type IV

Frame ID number: EM427SF0956083192
VIN: SW58280PA
Built in PA (I think), first titled in Conn May 2014, one owner, bounced around in two different auctions, now lives with me in Eaton NY.

Based on Frame ID, do we know the type (III or IV) and year of frame ('92?)

Looking for a good emergency brake kit, this car came with the handle and nothing attached to it.

Ford Mustang front end (I think) (ford emblem on some of the suspension)
Unknown rear end

Currently in search of the correct inner tie rod end and the drivers side is shot.

Any help on lineage would be spectacular.

Thank you!
Scott

Tommy 06-11-2016 12:56 PM

Everett-Morrison cars of the 1990s could be ordered with several different suspensions. I doubt that the serial number or Type number will tell which it was. Your best bet may be to post some pictures and hope that someone with a similarly equipped car sees it.

Scottshyne 06-11-2016 07:29 PM

Tommy,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell what type the cobra is from the EM frame number

Is the last set of digits the year the frame was manufactured?

Thanks,
Scott

Tommy 06-12-2016 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottshyne (Post 1394572)
Can you tell what type the cobra is from the EM frame number

I don't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottshyne (Post 1394572)
Is the last set of digits the year the frame was manufactured?

I don't know. But the last two digits of my frame number are 93 and that is about the time it was built. So that may be the case.

Scottshyne 06-12-2016 04:47 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the help :)

Scott

55312 06-12-2016 05:49 AM

What have you got for a rear end? Inboard brakes? Is it a 9" or an independent suspension with half shafts? This will determine what you need for the e-brake. E-M used Jag rear ends and Corvette suspensions as well. Mine is a 1992 with inboard brakes and an XJ-6 BPL (British Positive Lock) rear end.

Tim

avdcav 06-12-2016 06:37 AM

Mine is a Ford 9" live axle built on 90 . It uses rear calipers that have the parking brake built in. The front is most likely a mustang II front end which is great . Very solid , easy to work on and parts are cheap . My entire poly front end kit with 2" drop spindles was less than $500.00

The loKar kit for the cobra type cars works great and is easy to adjust . I top mounted as I felt the side mount protruded into the passenger area to much.

Tommy 06-12-2016 07:53 AM

Scott,
You've heard from three EM owners - one with Corvette suspension, one with Jaguar and one with Ford. Some EM cars had suspensions installed by EM and others by the people who bought them. I doubt you will get any useful information from the numbers. As I said before, post some photos to get the best answers.

Scottshyne 06-12-2016 07:08 PM

Thank you all!!

I've got some homework to do but you've pointed me in the direction to look. I'll post photos this week. Thanks again!

Scott

Tom Cimino 06-13-2016 08:11 AM

I purchased my E-M Cobra kit in September 1995. I do not know which type it is, but I think the tooling for the body was relatively new at that time. It was built before the chassis and body were stretched. It still had the 90" wheelbase.

My body and frame each has a unique number plate. The body plate is EM4427SCxxxxxx1995, and the frame plate is EM427SFxxxxxx1995. As you see, both plates end in 1995, which coincide with the build year. I always assumed that was the case.

There is a history page on their website. The History Behind our Roadster | Everett-Morrison Motorcars that chronicles the changes over time.

Scottshyne 06-14-2016 07:58 PM

Photos to determine rear end

1 Attachment(s)
I received an email from Tom at Everett Morrison motorcars. I had provided him with the EM frame ID and be verified it and provided my EM body I'd which I verified. He stated that it was definitely a GEN III and also that the sure fire way to tell the difference was the stainless steel (wont rust) GEN IV frame verses the steel, probably painted with some rust GEN III frame. He also told me the original builder and not registered the year correctly. My vehicle should have been titled as a 1967 AC 427 SC Cobra replica.
I have been able to determine that the front end is definitely a mustang II and the rear end is a solid ford rear ended but unsure of more details on rear end. I'm attaching some pictures to see if anyone recognizes the model or approximate year.

We got the right tie rod end and that is set. Still need the e-brake correct cables for correct rear ended.

Scottshyne 06-14-2016 08:21 PM

Another photo

1 Attachment(s)
Having challenges posting additional photos Attachment 28246

Scottshyne 06-15-2016 03:27 AM

From underneath

1 Attachment(s)
Still challenged uploading photos...

YerDugliness 06-15-2016 07:39 AM

Regarding your quest for an e-brake, from what I see from your photo of the differential (taken looking upward) it looks like you have a "disc" on the pinion U-joint yoke. My e-brake system is similar, so try searching for an "Airhart" e-brake. It includes a cable actuated caliper that grasps that disc attached to the differential yoke. Wish I could attach a photo, but the car is about 860 miles from my current location...but I will be down in that vicinity for Father's Day, so maybe...?

Cheers!

Dugly :cool:

Scottshyne 06-15-2016 08:35 PM

Identify ear end?

1 Attachment(s)
Gen III with disk brakes
Rear end Lincoln?

Scottshyne 06-16-2016 06:50 AM

Tom at EM told me that the GEN III usually had the Lincoln rear end because Lincoln came with disk breaks. Thunderbird rear ends were also used but they came with drums. I'm thinking I have a Lincoln rear end but if anyone can confirm or deny based on the photos, that would be great. The side front of the gear casing has an interesting insignia on it with what looks like an M (mustang?) over a c. I'm going to have but a gasket/seal for the rear as there is a slight leak but have to know the type. Thanks!

mjhcobra 09-07-2016 06:16 PM

I have the instruction manual for EM cars from the mid 90's. I had the Lincoln Versailles rear axle with disc brakes but had to change it due to the width of my wheels. It was EM's dream rear axle at the time.

EM65Cobra 04-22-2018 08:05 PM

Where is the frame plate normally located? I assume the body plate is the one on the inside wheel well. Are there any other VIN's or Identification Plates I can look for and where would they be?

mjhcobra 04-22-2018 10:34 PM

The Frame plate and the body plate are both inside the engine compartment by the RF wheel opening. Or at least that is where mine are and mine is a 1993.

EM65Cobra 04-23-2018 07:40 AM

OK, thanks MJHCobra. On mine I'm only seeing the body plate on the RF wheel well.