Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   I.R.S. questions (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/13075-i-r-s-questions.html)

FFR50 12-14-2001 10:07 PM

I.R.S. questions

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me about their
personal experience with the FFR I.R.S. kit on the roadster. I
have a couple of questions:
1. Is it durable? (axles and frame mods)
2. Is it worth the 2k that FFR wants?
3. Any vibration issues?
4. Any wheel hop issues?
5. Is this the perferred set up for autocrossing?

:confused: Art

Jamo 12-14-2001 10:36 PM

No clue re 1 thru 4.
No. 5--ASSOLUTELY! (IRSs in general)

weendoggy 10-10-2002 12:46 PM

Art,
I have the IRS and it's been great! Never had solid axle 'cause I don't like the feel. IRS handles great, rides great, tracks great, auto-x's great and is just plain great!!

Really, it does need some work to get it to the feel you want. I have front and rear sway bars (rear a must) and Koni adjustables all around. Every bit of work and testing I've put into the chassis has been rewarded back to me. As for toughness, it handles my setup fine at 350hp and I know of some pushing 500hp with sucess.

No vibration at all. The stock ride alone is very comfortable for trips and just driving a little spirited once in awhile.

I'm not using the quad shocks and have no big issues with wheel hop. I have a 3.27 ratio.

Satanpez 10-10-2002 01:57 PM

I'm planning IRS.

Remember, with that 2k you're getting a 5 lug, coilover shock(I believe), and a disk brake setup. Oh, and 3.27 gears.

If you have a solid axle Figure in $500 for 3-link, $500 for disk brake upgrade, etc.

And the resale value on the car will go up, which should offset some of the cost.

I'm figuring $2500, $2000 from FFR, and $500 for parts, rebuilt calipers/pads. Plus I can sell the live axle rear that I have.

And they seem durable. I don't know of any breaking. They still use the 8.8 center section.

Wheel hop. Not sure, but it definately won't be as good as a live axle that's setup for drag racing. But it should be definately better on a track, and more comfortable for daily driving.

-steve in nj-

stuck 02-10-2003 12:28 PM

It's worth it...IRS is the only way to go if you're not an all out drag racer! Man it's smooth...