Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   Getting to know my cobra... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/143982-getting-know-my-cobra.html)

bkcobra 08-26-2020 06:21 PM

Getting to know my cobra...

Just purchased my first Shelby cobra. It’s a 2013 built - factory five 1965 shelby COBRA CONVERTIBLE v8 auto lenteck racing transmission new factory 5 mk3.1 lentech racing transmission. crate 302 motor. I’m gonna have a ton of questions since the previous owner couldn’t tell me. Here is the first. There is a little dark blue light on the dash board close the the turn signals. It lights up when the car is running can anyone tell me what that is? I thought maybe a power indicator or something. Second there is a toggle switch (not the turn signals) that flicks up and down but doesn’t appear to do anything. Thoughts? Thank you very much.

mrmustang 08-26-2020 08:03 PM

Blue light should be for the high beams if it was wired correctly.
Toggle switch could be anything, interior light switch, maybe the high beam switch, or an intermittent horn switch, or perhaps even a brake light cut out switch for stealth driving :D

EM-0785 08-27-2020 03:27 AM

The toggle switch may be a heater blower fan switch.

Mine was the right most toggle from the driver seat, close to the blower motor, and it wasn’t doing anything. The switch proved faulty upon testing and was replaced with a new similar Lucas style toggle switch, allowing power to the blower motor. It still wasn’t working as the blower motor was also frozen. The motor was freed with penetrating oil and now works just fine using the switch.

Looking up under the dash from the passenger footwell, the wire from that switch on mine was an easy trace to the heater. Body contortion was reduced some while initially tracing that switch wiring using a light and large extension mirror and cell picture/video.

I assume your switch isn't as likely to be faulty, nor you motor frozen, given the more recent build (unless if donor based), yet sharing my experience with a toggle not doing anything, if helpful.

Best of luck. Brent

RD31 08-27-2020 11:22 AM

I have a couple of switches that to the casual person would appear not to do anything, but in fact they do. I recently added switch labels so I could tell them apart. Some possibilities like interior lights, trunk lights, or engine bay lights have already been mentioned. Perhaps it's a fuel pump cutoff switch for security. I have a switch to turn on/off a cool suit cooler for the track. When the cooler isn't installed it's just a plug in the trunk area. My engine builder has a low oil pressure cutoff circuit for my engine. If the pressure goes below 20 the engine shuts off (mind you this is a dry sump setup). The engine will also not start until the pressure gets above 20. I have an override for this switch to start the engine after the oil has already been heated. I also have an inertia switch override. I've had the inertia switch activate on the track by running over some serious rumble strips. I've had to be towed in twice (in 18 years) because the track workers don't reset the switches. My override will allow me to restart the engine and get to the pits to reset the inertia circuit without a tow. OK, that's all my switch secrets for now.

mrmustang 08-27-2020 06:33 PM

Going over some of my old FFR specs, the switch is for the manual override of the thermostatically controlled electric cooling fan.

Bill S.