Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   Are there any differences? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/16091-there-any-differences.html)

blykins 04-09-2002 01:55 PM

Are there any differences?

Guys and Gals...

I was browsing through the members' pages and came across a beautiful car that I will probably model my FFR off of. If you search for the username "cobra" and look at his black ERA, you will see what I mean. Extremely beautiful car in my opinion.

My question is that for some reason, the ERA (particularly that one) looks a little different than the FFR cars. And I can't figure out what it is. Am I psychotic here, or are there valid differences with the exceptions of quick-jack bumpers, roll-bar colors, etc...?

I am picking his car to model my own from, and I'm hoping all the dimensions (body curvature, ride height, etc.) are the same because I love the overall look of that model. It may just be an optical illusion that I'm seeing...or different view angles.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

ST 04-09-2002 02:45 PM

There are many differences between the FFR body demensions and the ERA body.
Your best bet would be to go to the ERA site and look at the customer cars section where there is a variety of cars to look at.
You can obviously set up your car in a simillar way but it would not look "excatly" like an ERA, if that's what you're shoot'n for.

computerworks 04-09-2002 02:50 PM

Re: Are there any differences?

Quote:

Originally posted by blykins
...Am I psychotic here, or are there valid differences with the exceptions of quick-jack bumpers, roll-bar colors, etc...?

...It may just be an optical illusion that I'm seeing...or different view angles.

That car is a beautiful specimen of an ERA.
Blyk, I'm presuming that you are referring to the overall differences between the FFR (which has many compromises) and the ERA (which is quite authentic).

Some of the reasons the FFR 'looks' different:

Visual compromises due to frame design and donor requirements.
Rear-quarters are longer, higher and have a different hip profile.
The external trunk hinges are not part of the original design.
The trunk shape (it's 'peak' at the license plate) is not accurate
The roll bar is higher and at a different pitch.
The belt-line (profile) is more horizontal than the original.
The door shape is larger and angularly different.
The lower nose has more panel area in front of the wheels than most.

These are a few of the major visual differences....there are more subtle ones as well.

Hope this helps.

blykins 04-09-2002 04:15 PM

Thanks

Wow, that helps out a lot guys. I appreciate the info. Even if I weren't trying to get close to an actual Cobra's visual appearance, I think I would choose the ERA kit...just because it appeals more to me. The only thing is the price...I'm lookin at $18k for the FFR with the options I wanted...the bottom line for the ERA is $19k.

I'm currently building the motor (in my house no doubt....any Jeff Foxworthy jokes about that?), and had settled for an FFR kit, but right now I'm not for sure.

Can you buy the ERA kit unassembled? What's the average price for the kit and all the goodies? (Any ERA'ers wanna chip in on some info?)

Thanks for all your help guys. It was a very thorough and quick reponse.

Brent

ST 04-09-2002 04:33 PM

Brent,

Like I said before...........check out their web site. They have all the info you could ever want to know about their cars. Trust me, one can spend hours and hours looking at all the stuff tere.:3DSMILE:

gomarlins3 03-06-2003 04:32 PM

You can get an ERA for $19,000? I'm checking their web site. I may be changing to an ERA from the FFR or Backdraft I was leaning toward.