Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Removing an intake manifold (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/101467-removing-intake-manifold.html)

David Biele 12-14-2009 06:03 AM

Removing an intake manifold

Hey Guys,

What is the trick to taking off the intake manifold. I have everything removed and unbolted but, with all of the RTV used to seal it I am having a hard time taking it off. I didn't want to pry it off until I was sure I would not damage it. Any help would be appreciated.

David

BOURRET 12-14-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Biele (Post 1009594)
Hey Guys,

What is the trick to taking off the intake manifold. I have everything removed and unbolted but, with all of the RTV used to seal it I am having a hard time taking it off. I didn't want to pry it off until I was sure I would not damage it. Any help would be appreciated.

David

Have you tried heating it with an hairdryer or something similar ( ex: heat gun at moderate temperature)?
I think you can use a good real pry tool if you put it in the space between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

Bobcat 12-14-2009 06:42 AM

Take a razor knife and cut through the RTV between the manifold and block , front and rear and then it should come off much easier .... that`s how I always do it .

Bob

Ron61 12-14-2009 07:04 AM

Both ideas are good but I think Bobcats is the easier. If you have aluminum heads and intake, be careful about prying on it.

Ron

priobe 12-14-2009 07:05 AM

This might be a dump ?? but what type of intake is this?

Is this one of the original intakes that weigh 90 lbs?

blykins 12-14-2009 07:26 AM

Take a dead blow hammer and smack up on the part of the intake that the water neck bolts to. You just have to break the seal from the RTV.

vettestr 12-14-2009 08:03 AM

I am with Bobcat on this one. Insert a pry bar between block and intake near the T-stat location and apply a force. Add other pry bars a few inches away if really stuck. A steady increase in pressure with one or more bars seems to reduce chance of scaring the surfaces. Remember to drain coolant from the block to keep it out of the oil.

MaSnaka 12-14-2009 12:56 PM

I used a wet/dry shop vac on the T-Stat hole and reversed the air flow to blow. Withe the petcock of the radiator open this forced the water out of the intake. Make sure you have a rag stopping the upper hose to blow back and keep the cap on. It doesn't have to be an air tight seal just creates a little help with the water draining.

After using a razor blade or utility knife on RTV, a little prying will probably break it loose.

/John

Michael C Henry 12-14-2009 12:58 PM

Once you get the intake manifold moving, lift the rear of the manifold first and slightly rearward as the short thermostat bypass hose in front, rather limits any lifting of the front. Or cut the short hose and plan on replacing with piece of the best hose available.

David Biele 12-14-2009 04:10 PM

Thanks for all of the input.
I do have alum. heads and intake, so becareful and take it slow.

btw thanks vettstr for the coolant reminder.

jking65 01-22-2010 07:21 PM

well goodluck to me! i get the idea now on how to do it.. i cant wait to put my intake manifold.. thanks to all your inputs..