Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   c3az-6250-d CamShaft (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/112628-c3az-6250-d-camshaft.html)

kevintbush 09-20-2011 10:57 AM

c3az-6250-d CamShaft

Hello everyone,

I am still new to this site and I thought I could ask my first question here.

I have a 390 FE that I am planning to rebuild. I have acquired a cam which has the c3az-6250-d numbers and still is in the original Ford tube.
I have looked on the internet to find more information about this cam. However, all I can really do is find the specs. (306° duration .500 lift) I am looking for someone who can tell me more information about this cam and its potential.
Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Rick Parker 09-20-2011 11:25 AM

Looks like a nice piece, Multi carb, solid lifter

camshaft

patrickt 09-20-2011 11:56 AM

From my old Ford catalog. It's a moderate cam, not suitable for today's Cobra (IMO). You'd want something bigger.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/c3az.jpg

blykins 09-20-2011 12:32 PM

Not necessarily bigger, but more modern. The cams from the 60's are so........60's......

I believe that cam has a .050" duration of around 224-230°, which would be a good streetable cam for a 390 with good flowing heads. However, it's got a ton of overlap and some pretty lazy lobes.

It would work, but there are extremely streetable cams that would run circles around this one.

olddog 09-22-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1152316)

If you do the math on the "D" cam, it is a miss print. Duration adds to 225 and overlap adds to 33. Either the timing evens is wrong or the the Duration and overlap is wrong. Possibly both are wrong. Note the intake is opening after top center and the exhaust is closing before top center, which is wrong.

The other cam adds up.

FWB 09-22-2011 04:18 PM

here are the specs

Ford "FE" Camshaft Specifications

and yes computers and CNC grinders have made very huge advances in cam grinding.
go with a more modern grind. back when that cam was spec'ed out the limiting factor was freakin tires. 1963 and whitewall slicks....

Jerry Clayton 09-22-2011 04:23 PM

Its probably the omly number that I remember from BACK THEN----I once had six of them (picked up one for myself and the ford rep sent 5 others with me to take to the local ford shop) called Holman-Moody about something with them and they were waiting for the cams for race engines---they had none and I had six!!! so I sent the cams to them for that weekend's race and then I got another a week or so later---by the way--I loved the cam, lope, lifter noise, etc performance---wow---

patrickt 09-22-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1152658)
If you do the math on the "D" cam, it is a miss print. Duration adds to 225 and overlap adds to 33. Either the timing evens is wrong or the the Duration and overlap is wrong. Possibly both are wrong. Note the intake is opening after top center and the exhaust is closing before top center, which is wrong.

The other cam adds up.

You did your math wrong. The numbers are are at .100 lift. Here, I was kind enough to graph it for you.

http://208.255.159.239/dcamshaft.jpg

patrickt 09-22-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton (Post 1152671)
Its probably the omly number that I remember from BACK THEN--

You're remembering a different "D" cam -- the one that came with .600 lift. Different dog entirely.:cool:

Jerry Clayton 09-22-2011 05:46 PM

well it was a long time ago--and it was a 1959 2door business coupe(ex Illinois dept of agriculture staff car) that was a 292 Y blockthat I converted to E475 Edsel engine and later USAC 406 FE then dual quads and 4 speed---

and your correct---it was a .600 lift cam for the Nascar engines

olddog 09-24-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1152672)
You did your math wrong. The numbers are are at .100 lift. Here, I was kind enough to graph it for you.

http://208.255.159.239/dcamshaft.jpg

I missed the .100" lift. Well that is the first time I ever seen timing events listed at a different lift than the duration was measured at, let alone at such a high lift. Strange.

Anyway thanks for the graph and explanation.

LARRY FORBUSH 11-07-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevintbush (Post 1152304)
Hello everyone,

I am still new to this site and I thought I could ask my first question here.

I have a 390 FE that I am planning to rebuild. I have acquired a cam which has the c3az-6250-d numbers and still is in the original Ford tube.
I have looked on the internet to find more information about this cam. However, all I can really do is find the specs. (306° duration .500 lift) I am looking for someone who can tell me more information about this cam and its potential.
Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Hi Kevin. I am new here also. If You are not going to use this camshaft? I would like to buy it from You. If You would like You can let Me know at larry@atglc.com THANK YOU. Larry.

4SECA 11-07-2011 06:30 PM

I have that grind running right now in a 1963 Lo Riser 2x4. It is not wild , but it is very responsive.Also remember the camshaft will have more of a racey personality in a smaller engine. IE 390 vs 427 .
I hope that helps ..

FUNFER2 11-07-2011 06:37 PM

I loved the cam specs in my 428FE. It was lumpy and good for the street. If you want to here that motor run, let me know.

Solid flat tappet.
601-lift
252/260
110 lobe sep.