Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   428 PI or CJ? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/131239-428-pi-cj.html)

cobranc 10-03-2014 07:26 AM

428 PI or CJ?

All,

I am trying to determine if this is a PI or CJ. The casting number on the rods in C6AE, main cap number appears to be C8AE, although the 8 is suspect. The crank casting number is 1U.

I wanted to find out before I removed the tranny but I may be forced to do that.

I dont know how to post pics that are large enough to see. Limits on here are very small.

patrickt 10-03-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobranc (Post 1320978)
All,

I am trying to determine if this is a PI or CJ. The casting number on the rods in C6AE....

Any letters after the C6AE? Like C6AE-E or something? Is it drilled for hydraulic lifters or is it a SFT? Really, the only thing that matters, if you're going to rebuild it, is the condition of the cylinders and whether it has the extra webbing on the crank saddle. FWIW, my galleys are blocked off anyway. Here's a page though that outlines some of the major differences between a CJ/SCJ and a PI. Comparison of Major 428 Engine Components | Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry The 428cobrajet.org site is probably the best site for pics/numbers/explanations on the different 428 components.

Check your block casting date and refer to this page: http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-block

cobranc 10-03-2014 11:43 AM

Yes, it does have the reinforced webbing. The date of manufacture for the block was oct 1968.

patrickt 10-03-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobranc (Post 1321014)
Yes, it does have the reinforced webbing. The date of manufacture for the block was oct 1968.

OK, here's a nice thread on the difference between the two: 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Question regarding 428 Police Interceptor I would not second-guess Hawkrod or Dave Shoe.

1967 XR7 GT 11-28-2014 08:03 PM

No Message

undy 11-29-2014 03:39 AM

I believe the CJ and SCJ cranks were 1UB.

Gaz64 11-29-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1321015)
OK, here's a nice thread on the difference between the two: 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Question regarding 428 Police Interceptor I would not second-guess Hawkrod or Dave Shoe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967 XR7 GT (Post 1327863)
No Message

I think from 1967 XR7 GT, he means your link doesn't work.

Would be easier just to say that.

patrickt 11-29-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1327917)

The cheesy-ass server (Network 54) that the FordFE forum lives on is undergoing maintenance. If the link doesn't work when that's done, I'll recheck and/or repost....)

EDIT - The link is now working.

1967 XR7 GT 11-30-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1327917)

Sorry about that, I wasn't commenting about anything, I just bumped it to the top, and should of said that instead of no message, I needed to increase my post count in order to post pictures and the board won't let me post to few letters like N/M. And I thought I remember the link worked ?
So again sorry about the confusion.

Ron61 11-30-2014 03:22 AM

The "R" code SCJ engine would have LeMans rods and 427 medium riser heads. Mine is still factory original and it has those plus a couple of other things the "Q" code CJ engine doesn't have.

Ron

lovehamr 12-07-2014 05:18 AM

Let's see if this one works...

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum:

Well, the link is correct but I can't get CC to send it on. If you copy and past the link it should get you to the discussion that Patrick posted.