Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Side tapping spark plugs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/131392-side-tapping-spark-plugs.html)

Tim7139 10-19-2014 06:59 AM

Side gapping spark plugs

I understand the thinking behind this, but how many owners actually take the time to alter their plugs. Any care to share any experiences, pluses or issues for what is primarily a street driven car? Curious minds want to know.

bobcowan 10-19-2014 08:38 AM

Not sure what you mean by "side tapping". But I use a standard Autolite copper core plug, gapped to .040".

I have used a Autolite racing plug, which has a cut back ground strap. I don't think it made any difference, though.

Xack 10-19-2014 09:11 AM

Yes, Who is this "Side Tapping" you speak of?

bingo2 10-19-2014 09:19 AM

I think he may mean "Side Gapping"; this along with indexing may provide a small increase in horsepower and torque and will most likely go unnoticed by the butt dyno.

Tim7139 10-19-2014 11:48 AM

My apologies, I thought my edit for "gapping" took, but I ran out and it bounced.
Of course I meant side gapping.

Jeff Frigo 10-19-2014 01:36 PM

Do you mean indexing?

RICK LAKE 10-19-2014 03:03 PM

Index and trimming ground bridge

tim7139 I have done both. I think it helps with power and also keeps the spark plug cleaner. I run 1 range colder that what spec is. I also run an "E" coil that puts out 70k volts. The coil also has an effect on the spark plugs. I like the copper contacts in the distributor. The jury is still out on using livewires. these have a capacitor in the end of each plug wire and help make silly spark. There was a test done that showed a 3-5 hp gain. Rick L.

Tim7139 10-19-2014 05:21 PM

Thanks. Not really looking at the power angle primarily just a good clean burn, got the hot coil but, hey, every little bit helps.