Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Atlanta area 427 side oiler mechanics (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/131700-atlanta-area-427-side-oiler-mechanics.html)

Sn4k33Y3z 11-20-2014 06:52 PM

Atlanta area 427 side oiler mechanics

Hello,

My names Jake. I recently purchased a 67 shamrock with a 427 side oiler built by Dwight Powell (passed away several years ago). I took it over to Simpson racing (specializes in classic jaguars and restorations) to have the car picked up on a lift. Myself, I'm not familiar with "regular" maintenance of carbureted cars. I wanted to have it looked at.

I saw casting number on the block that reads CSAE-A???
I understand that Dwight Powell purchased up a lot of the NASCAR blocks once NASCAR banned the use of them and I'm curious if this is what I've got.

My main concern is finding a trustworthy mechanic that truly knows these motors that I can trust perform any all of my needs. I'm located 20 minutes north of Atlanta, GA. I greatly appreciate anyone's insight/suggestions.

Thanks,
Jake

bill37341 11-20-2014 07:26 PM

Jake- sorry to inform you that a c5ae-a is a center-oiler. I'm using one in my car & you and I will never know the difference. Side oiling only helps at sustained high revs- something most of these cars never see. I would be willing to help, but I live about 80 miles north, and don't know anybody in your area. Good luck, Bill.

marcocsx3121 11-21-2014 04:31 AM

Don't worry about the shame of running a non side oiler FE. The original engine in CSX 3121, like all the earlier 427 Cobras, was a center oiler. After a little help via a set of medium riser heads and blueprinting, it ran just fine and even handled revving to 7000 rpm on a few occasions.

68 Fastback 11-21-2014 12:06 PM

How about Holman Moody in Charlotte, NC. They have been working on them from the very beginning.

| Holman Moody|

King- cobra 11-21-2014 06:13 PM

Jimmy at Cobra Restorers in Kennesaw is very good with 427 motors. He has worked on sveral on my cars

Sn4k33Y3z 11-22-2014 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback fellas.

I'm still not convinced 100% it's a center oiler... The block does have the indicative raised sidewall with the three oil inputs on the side. Also, the photo I have of the casting to me doesn't look like a 5 in the casting.

Is southern automotive a trusted source?

bill37341 11-22-2014 05:28 AM

C8AE-A! 1968 side-oiler. Congrats.

Truetriplex 11-22-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn4k33Y3z (Post 1326979)
Hello,

My names Jake. I recently purchased a 67 shamrock with a 427 side oiler built by Dwight Powell (passed away several years ago). I took it over to Simpson racing (specializes in classic jaguars and restorations) to have the car picked up on a lift. Myself, I'm not familiar with "regular" maintenance of carbureted cars. I wanted to have it looked at.

I saw casting number on the block that reads CSAE-A???
I understand that Dwight Powell purchased up a lot of the NASCAR blocks once NASCAR banned the use of them and I'm curious if this is what I've got.

My main concern is finding a trustworthy mechanic that truly knows these motors that I can trust perform any all of my needs. I'm located 20 minutes north of Atlanta, GA. I greatly appreciate anyone's insight/suggestions.

Thanks,
Jake

I used Southern Automotive - 70 Sims St, McDonough, GA 30253 (770) 898-9360. Lyle seems to know his stuff; specializes in Ford FE; and Susan is great to deal with. I am up near you (Canton) and the experience with them was worth the short trip.

Sn4k33Y3z 11-22-2014 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
AWESOME!!!! I looked for a block number with 8 and couldn't yield any data. Thank you for confirming my suspicion. Now I just need to find the right people to trust to touch the thing. The motor is operable, but not where I would like it to be. It's running Edelbrock dual 4's and I'm thinking of putting Holley's on it. I would really love any suggestions for this motor as I'm honestly knowledgable enough about them (other than the wonderful history).

The car doesn't currently have an oil cooler and I plan on obtaining one of those(not sure what route to go here). I'm currently having the Jaguar IRS reworked with some reinforcement. You can see in the photo it's missing a very ridged component... Sorry for the photo coming in sideways lol

stephen_becker 11-22-2014 11:59 AM

I knew Dwight very well - Bought several motors from him & he re-built several motors for both myself and my customers - Very good guy - he is missed

My dealership can help you with your 427 issues

Planet Cobra

Sugar Hill, GA 30518

Give us a call
(770) 900 5532

Stephen

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=124

Sn4k33Y3z 11-22-2014 04:26 PM

Stephen,

Thanks for reaching out. It seems too good to be true that your in my own backyard. I really need someone who understands these motors and can guide me in the right direction for service and maintenance. I would love to bring the car over and have you take a look at it. According to your resume/reputation, it appears your more then qualified! Thank you for reaching out. I'll be in-touch soon.

Sn4k33Y3z 11-23-2014 08:03 AM

With this being a 68 side oiler I'm curious what your thoughts are on an oil cooler. I do not plan on racing this car. However, I would like to feel what 6,000RPMS in it feels like :-). Because of the motor, do you try and find a "period correct" oil cooler, or is the more modern aftermarket the route to go?

Sn4k33Y3z 11-24-2014 05:28 AM

Bump?

Clois Harlan 11-24-2014 07:46 AM

I have had a Center Oiler in my Cobra for well over 10 years now and have found that the Oil Cooler is more for hard racing than street driving although many have an oil cooler I doubt if all are actually hooked up. I live in Tulsa and we have some pretty warm summers like you and my oil will stay below 200 in the summer with the oil cooler. You really need your oil to run a bit hotter maybe 220 or so. Mine is usually unhooked unless I am running on the track in summer. By the way the one that Finishline sells works quite well but let me warn you, the cooler is less than $200 but your #12 braided lines and fittings will run you close to $350 or so.

Sn4k33Y3z 11-24-2014 04:28 PM

Clois,

Great information. I was looking at the finishline model and the price was attractive. However, the #12 braided line at that cost I think I'm better off purchasing a kit.

steve meltzer 11-25-2014 08:09 AM

Southern built my 427 SO about 10 year ago, and tho' it leaked from the rear main seal from day one, it's been otherwise excellent. In my experience they're very nice to deal with, and I talked to them a lot when I first put the engine in the car. steve