Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   What's a fair offer for this rebuilt 428 short block? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/133130-whats-fair-offer-rebuilt-428-short-block.html)

DrivinWest 05-03-2015 06:39 AM

What's a fair offer for this rebuilt 428 short block?

I'm giving some consideration to building an engine while I wait for my Cobra. I have zero FE building experience but I've got time and interest in learning. The following came up for sale locally and I'm wondering 1) if it's made with quality parts 2) what it's worth.

C6ME 428 block, date code 5K4, new Forged Speed Pro L2303 .040 pistons, new SpeedPro Plasma Moly rings, 1M crank @ .030 / .030. Rebuilt by reputable local machine shop.

Any insight is much appreciated.

redmt 05-03-2015 06:55 AM

I saw that on the FE forum also. It's an OK deal. The part about the previous balancing was a little confusing. It said it was previously balanced. Does that mean that the new pistons have been rebalanced? If I was local I would go look at it and make my assessment from there. At $1500 its a great deal if everything is correct. At 2k it's a pretty good deal. At $2500 it had better all be right. JMHO

Barry_R 05-03-2015 06:58 AM

Given the current cost for a real 428 block you might have a couple grand worth of parts there....

redmt 05-03-2015 07:02 AM

,,,, a 428 block at .040 is pretty much at the end of it's life cycle. I've seen them at .060 but wouldn't trust it.

DrivinWest 05-03-2015 07:19 AM

Thanks for the input. It's local and thus struck my interest, but it seems that there are probably better option out there.

redmt 05-03-2015 07:51 AM

I would not blow it off. Go look at it if for no more than the experience. You'll have something to compare for the future. Offer him a lower number if you want it. All he can say is no. If you have little FE knowledge, this is a good way to learn. again,,, JMHO

Bernica 05-03-2015 09:25 AM

Just an FYI, the C6ME-A number was used on 390, 428 and 428 CJ blocks.

saltshaker 05-03-2015 12:23 PM

For not much more you could build a new stroked 390
Short block with new parts.
Jon

Dwight 05-03-2015 07:32 PM

measure the bore and stroke

Dwight

undy 05-04-2015 05:11 AM

undy 05-04-2015 05:13 AM

Was it sonic checked?

Clois Harlan 05-04-2015 06:35 AM

I am talking from experience: .040 is too much on a 428. I had one and it was almost impossible to drive thru a restraurant without my thermostat spiking to 220 or so. Had a custom Radiator made, even replaced my Edelbrock Water Pump but nothing helped. That engine only had a modest hydraulic cam and I could not keep it running cool.

Find a good 390 (has a zero balance crank) and build it up a little and you will be much happier. .030 would be the most I would push and FE. My 427 is punched on .015 so if I have to clean it up I have some room.

Think twice about that .040 428.

Bernica 05-04-2015 01:01 PM

Couldn't agree more with Clois on his comments. Know what you are buying and do some homework. Nothing worse than having a "lump" sitting in the garage that you want to kick every time you walk by it!:eek: