Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   FE rear seal (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/136500-fe-rear-seal.html)

Tim7139 05-14-2016 11:58 AM

FE rear seal

Well it's time for a rear main replacement.
Has anybody had any luck with the SCE seal kits? Got one as well as the standard Fel Pro but the SCE seems to have viton side seals without nails and a full width sealing surface.

blykins 05-14-2016 12:56 PM

All of your side seals should be full width. It varies from block to block though, on how the side seals fit. Sometimes they drop in with room to spare.....sometimes you need to shave material off the side seals to get them to fit.

I use Felpro BS30138 seals for all my FE's. Crank seal halves go in lubed, side seals go in slathered in sealant, shoved down, then nails driven in beside of them. I'll use a punch or nail set to drive the nails/side seals down into the block, until they are down below the surface of the cap.

Tim7139 05-14-2016 02:14 PM

Thanks Brent, I rechecked to make sure I was'nt crazy, the Fel Pro's are not full width on the block sealing surface. Full lenght groove opposite the one for the nails. The SCE is full, ungroved, soft ( viton), hollow with small hole the entire lenght to allow it to compress, orange in color.

Tim7139 05-17-2016 01:35 PM

C'mon, really??? You mean not a soul on this board ever saw these things? Summit has to have sold more than a single set.

Cobranut 08-21-2016 07:03 PM

Way back when I built my motor, Fel-Pro was the only game in town for those seals.
After hearing about all the FE rear seal leaks, and looking at the installation procedure, I decided to do something different.
I cleaned everything well and injected RTV silicone into the seal slots under enough pressure to force the sealer to fill the clearance between the main cap and block completely. The car's been on the road for 16 years and never leaked a drop yet.
The rear main cap will probably be a bear to pull if it ever needs a rebuild though. ;-)

Tim7139 08-22-2016 09:31 AM

deleted.....wrong info