Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Engine size question (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/139851-engine-size-question.html)

classical glass 12-26-2017 07:23 AM

Engine size question

Please help settle a heated argument. We have a stock bore 427FE side oiler with a stock 428 crank (stroker). My question is what size is this engine? I'm getting a
multitude of answers.
Thanks...

Phx Mike 12-26-2017 07:48 AM

4.2328" bore and 3.984 stroke = 448.5 cubic inches

66gtk 12-26-2017 10:42 AM

Yep - 448 CID, but many go ahead and bore .030 and end up with 454 CID.

patrickt 12-26-2017 10:42 AM

From the ERA web site:

The 428 crankshaft can be installed in a 427 block (with Chevy pistons) to yield a torquer with 454 cid. You lose the forged crank of the 427, but it does make a sweet and strong street engine. Cast crankshaft failures on the street are extremely rare. The 427 crankshaft is internally in balance, while the 428 crank relies on the counterweighted flywheel to complete the balance.

From this page: Engine builders

classical glass 12-26-2017 03:55 PM

Engine size

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1435196)
From the ERA web site:

The 428 crankshaft can be installed in a 427 block (with Chevy pistons) to yield a torquer with 454 cid. You lose the forged crank of the 427, but it does make a sweet and strong street engine. Cast crankshaft failures on the street are extremely rare. The 427 crankshaft is internally in balance, while the 428 crank relies on the counterweighted flywheel to complete the balance.

ok now I see the problem... We got Chevy Pistons in this engine. So everybody who was arguing about this weren't all on the same page. Everybody is happy again. Thanks everyone....

undy 12-27-2017 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1435196)
From the ERA web site:

Stock bore Chebby pistons are 4.25" (or larger) in diameter, hence the 454 cid. They will require a 0.0172" overbore from stock, assuming 4.25".

olddog 12-27-2017 01:40 PM

Devils advocate:

Why use an external balance 428 crank - I believe it requires the hatchet on the nose, when you can buy a 482 stroker kit with internal balance? You get cast steel crank instead of cast iron.

Anthony 12-27-2017 02:16 PM

From what I remember, I want to say all 428's were externally balanced, but only the 428SCJ needed the "hachet" for the heavier "LeMans" connecting rods.

427's came with cast and steel cranks, but I think the cast cranks were lighter, and revved easier with some performance advantage.

I'm not sure if the piston reliefs on the top of the pistons are the same for a FE and a BBC, so even if the bore is the same, they may not be optimal, unless you're talking about a flat top.

Phx Mike 12-27-2017 05:00 PM

All 428's are externally balanced. I believe all 427 cranks were steel but don't know if they were forged or cast. If both were offered I don't think the minor weight and associated polar moment differences between the cast and forged versions would make much difference in overall engine inertia (nothing that could not be overcome with a flywheel change). The forged piece would have a higher yield and tensile strength and better fatigue properties but I cannot imagine breaking a cast steel crank with a street engine.

classical glass 12-29-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1435261)
Devils advocate:

Why use an external balance 428 crank - I believe it requires the hatchet on the nose, when you can buy a 482 stroker kit with internal balance? You get cast steel crank instead of cast iron.

What are you referring to by "hatchet"

Mark IV 12-29-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classical glass (Post 1435382)
What are you referring to by "hatchet"

The 428 had an additional counterweight that sits behind the crank damper and from the front has a shape the bows out at the end like a hatchet blade.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...w=1051&bih=501

olddog 12-29-2017 02:22 PM

Thanks Mark IV.

I think Anthony is correct that the 428SCJ was the only one with the hatchet.

I am pretty sure at least some 427 engines came with a cast iron crank. The 427 and 390 share the same stroke. I know some of the large truck 391FT engines had steel cranks with the large diameter snout. Back in the day folks turned these cranks down to make a good steel crank for the 427.

Today you can buy a good rotating assembly at a reasonable price and make 482 CID. None of this old school stuff makes sense any more, unless you just happen to own it. If you are purchasing, it's likely not worth the money and risk.

Anyway that is one opinion, not necessarily factual certainty. Take internet advice at your own risk.