Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Carb and Turkey Pan gasket (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/140398-carb-turkey-pan-gasket.html)

steve meltzer 02-26-2018 04:50 PM

Carb and Turkey Pan gasket

Does the gasket go between the intake manifold and the t-pan or between the turkey pan and the carb? Or, as has been suggested, you should use two gaskets. thanx steve

patrickt 02-26-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve meltzer (Post 1439437)
Does the gasket go between the intake manifold and the t-pan or between the turkey pan and the carb? Or, as has been suggested, you should use two gaskets. thanx steve

Two gaskets, please.:cool:

steve meltzer 02-26-2018 05:07 PM

Oh, Patrick, what would I do without you? s

steve meltzer 02-26-2018 06:41 PM

OK, i have both a thick cardboard gasket, a thin more paper-like example and but none of the metal impregnated ones. Are both gaskets the same material or? thanx. s

Gaz64 02-27-2018 01:53 AM

The less gasket thickness you use, the less likely to warp or break your throttle body.

For your setup, a thin one on the bottom and a thick one on top, if you need it for clearance within the turkey pan,
and ONLY if it has compression limiting spacers at the mounting points. Otherwise, two thin gaskets.

Gary

patrickt 02-27-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1439461)
The less gasket thickness you use, the less likely to warp or break your throttle body.

I use the same standard Holley gasket that comes in the rebuild kit both above and below the Turkey Pan. BUT, I use a "pointer type" inch/lb torque wrench on every bolt when working on a Holley. It is very easy to warp and crack them by giving them just a hair too much tightening.

steve meltzer 02-27-2018 07:26 AM

Patrick, I have a gob of gaskets in a bag and don't recall which ones came from where. At any rate is the stock gasket more like paper or more like cardboard? Also, what is the torque setting in inch-pounds for the hold down nuts? I pretty careful about those nuts, but a real number would be (at least in theory) better. thanx. s

patrickt 02-27-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve meltzer (Post 1439474)
Patrick, I have a gob of gaskets in a bag and don't recall which ones came from where. At any rate is the stock gasket more like paper or more like cardboard? Also, what is the torque setting in inch-pounds for the hold down nuts? I pretty careful about those nuts, but a real number would be (at least in theory) better. thanx. s

The gasket is the thickness of the typical cardboard coasters you put under a drink. Here's a hi-resolution pic: http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/50...555-154055.jpg

And here are the torque settings that I use for my Holley ventures.

Holley Carburetor Fastener Application Torque Range (Minimum—Maximum) Inch-Pounds

Bowl Screws 25-30
Throttle Body Plate to Main Body Screws 25-30
Main Jets 30-40
Adjustable Needle-and-Seat Lock Screws 50-60
Carburetor to Manifold Attaching Screws 60-80
Internally Adjustable Needles-and-Seat 60-80
Power Valves 40-50
Fuel Bowl Inlet Fitting 175-200
1/16--Inch Pipe Plug 50-60
1/8--Inch Pipe Plug 100-150
1/4--Inch Pipe Plug 160-240

steve meltzer 02-27-2018 08:51 AM

Great! and thanx. Is the hole in the middle of the gasket from setting down too many martini glasses on the coaster? s

Gaz64 02-28-2018 03:03 AM

As Patrick has shown, here is the torque list from Holley:

http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_torque.pdf

I don't agree with some things, like a needle seat lock screw tighter than a power valve as example.

Somethings, I prefer the "short spanner feel".

steve meltzer 02-28-2018 04:38 AM

EXCELLENT! THANX. s

patrickt 02-28-2018 04:41 AM

Uhhhh, when was the last time that car went for a nice, uneventful drive?:confused:

steve meltzer 02-28-2018 08:26 AM

i'm not answering that....been awhile, partly because of other auto projects. argghhh. s