Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Using oil on a 427 sideoiler (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/141901-using-oil-427-sideoiler.html)

sideoiler427 01-09-2019 07:41 PM

Using oil on a 427 sideoiler

I have a 427 sideoiler 1968 block bored out to a 482ci it is using about a quart of oil every 600miles, it has 13,000 on the motor. It leaks alittle and its not showing any smoke on idle or acceration. Had the tranny out rear main is fine but the plugs around the camshaft where all leaking retaped them and sealed them up. I read somewhere that the intake manifold gaskets could be leaking and might burn oil. I am not sure how that burns oil? Any ideas or comments?

Gaz64 01-09-2019 07:46 PM

The inlet ports can suck oil from the valley whenever there is high manifold vacuum.

Can happen many to V engines.

Gary

HTM101 01-10-2019 05:16 AM

The attached link has photos and text that describe failed intake manifold gaskets.

https://www.fordfe.com/it-happened-a...ks-t93820.html

sideoiler427 01-10-2019 09:25 AM

Thanks. I would think if it is sucking oil on the inlet port that i would see smoke from exhaust. Any recomendation on a good set of gaskets for this street motor 427.

sideoiler427 01-10-2019 09:52 AM

The motor also has a high lift cam 705 intake and .700 exhaust with alumium michigan heads so i would think vacume would be on the low side.
I hope the machining on the motor was do correctly

66gtk 01-10-2019 11:37 AM

Do you have a PCV system? Open breathers? Puke tank? Do you see any blowby in the engine compartment? How old is the engine?
Have you EVER noticed it smoke after a warm restart? I'm guessing (as you said) cold start doesn't puff smoke. A warm/hot restart may be telling if that causes a puff at startup.

sideoiler427 01-10-2019 12:17 PM

The valve covers has a breather that is hosed to a puke tank that drains into the back of the intake manifold, there is no blow-by the motor only has 12000 miles on it. I have not noticed any smoke after a warm start

66gtk 01-10-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideoiler427 (Post 1456482)
The valve covers has a breather that is hosed to a puke tank that drains into the back of the intake manifold, there is no blow-by the motor only has 12000 miles on it. I have not noticed any smoke after a warm start

I asked how old the engine build was as 12,000 in 2-3 years would be really good for the car, but 12,000 miles in 20 years means the car could have been sitting for long periods, which isn't good for the car. Coupled with today's bad gas, and possible poor maintenance standards (you didn't indicate if this car was new, or pre-owned) it's common that these engines need service, even much earlier than 12,000 miles depending on the age of the build and the capabilities of the builder/owner/driver.

If it's been sitting for a while, you can try using various Marvel Mystery Oil treatments and seeing if this improves things. If not, I'd pull the manifold/heads and have the heads inspected and reseal the manifold and heads by a competent and experienced FE mechanic. Seems I have to do this frequently on the Cobras I've purchased - all with very little miles on them.

Most probably wouldn't notice a quart every 600 miles, because a lot these types of cars don't get used that much between oil changes ): Couple that with the fact that every FE leaks oil you don't have that big of an issue (:

Gaz64 01-10-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideoiler427 (Post 1456476)
The motor also has a high lift cam 705 intake and .700 exhaust with alumium michigan heads so i would think vacume would be on the low side.
I hope the machining on the motor was do correctly

Any amount of vacuum is still a vacuum, low pressure.
The oil being thrown around by the camshaft and lifters, and the crankcase vapour is in a higher pressure area compared to any of the inlet ports for the majority of the time the engine is running.
Only time they would approach equal would be at wide open throttle.

Even wild cams produce vacuum, albeit at lower levels than stock cams.

While your intake is off, I would observe the base of the inlet guide for oil moisture towards the valve seat, and if so, replace your valve guide seals with a better product.

Gary

sideoiler427 01-12-2019 08:19 AM

The car is driven every 2-3 weeks its hard for me not to drive it. The engine build is about 4 years now so except for a few things like this is runs strong. Will look into pulling the manifold and heads to inspect and see if I have a problem. Thanks for the advice.