Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   428 Police Intercepter block (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/20488-428-police-intercepter-block.html)

fzabski 09-22-2002 05:54 PM

428 Police Intercepter block

I have searched the forum for answers before posting and can't find the answer to this question so please help. If I made a mistake please direct me to the proper link as I don't want to waste the bandwidth.

I am starting to put together an engine for a Cobra kit. I am on total information overload but know that the original cars came with either a 427 s/o or a Police intercepter 428 (more 428's then s/o) so I read. I will be strictly using this for occasional road use and am not a speed person. I just LOVE the car!

I think I am going to build the PI engine but I can not find a definitive answer on what makes the engine(block) so different. I bought a couple of Ford engine books and still can't find the answer. I understand that there was a standard 428, CJ, SCJ and PI block. The books state clearly how to tell the difference with special codes (sometime always not accurate!) but I can't find any information on how to identify a PI block.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, where is the best place to buy and rough cost ($1000 question).

TIA

Ron61 09-22-2002 06:17 PM

AFAIK,
I have looked in all of my Ford and Shelby books and talked to a friend who has one of the PI 428s. The only difference he could find between it and the Thunderbird version was it had a step up or so in the camshaft. He said his block numbers matched the numbers on a friends 1966 thunderbird. I know one version was rated at about 345 horse and I think that was the one they called the police engine. I am sure there is more and someone in the club will be able to tell you exactly what to look for. I know that my 1969 Torino NASCAR Cobra has the 428SJC and everything in it is completely different from the other 428s including the 428 CJ. Wish I could help more but those numbers get confusing espceially when the books don't always agree. The date codes are on both the block and inside the valve covers on the heads so you could look at them and that will get you into the years range you want.

Ron61
Ron Widener

68gt500 09-23-2002 04:13 AM

AFAIK the PI block does not carry any special markings. The PI block is cast with stronger thicker webbings very much like the CJ block. I havenīt compared them side by side but I couldnīt see any differences. The PI also carries the bigger stronger rods like the CJ. I like to think of the PI as the predecessor to the CJ - just build with the Lo-Po heads of the 390.

One key element is the PI aluminium intake much lighter than the cast iron anchor of the CJs and every bit as powerful.

Combine the PI short block & intake with Edelbrock heads and a healthy cam and youīll end up with one hell of a powerhouse.

Mike (Germany)
68 GT500
Not a cobra but same heart

Vision 09-23-2002 09:47 AM

looking at my book the 428pi blocks have casting #'s of C6AE-B and C6AE-F and are solid lifter blocks

SCOBRAC 09-23-2002 08:19 PM

the 428 PI block used up until 1966.. The 428 CJ was used after that.. Both had improved stength via an improved reinforcing web system like the CJ.. They were all Solid Lifter engines and have no provision for a haudraulic cam.. Heads were big valve 2.09" intake units ala 390 GT or 427 low rise..

Why hassle it.. Buy my 428 it can be found in my photo gallery.

68gt500 09-24-2002 02:35 AM

@SCOBRAC
@Vision

The PI were used well beyond 66, at least ītill the intro of the CJ in 68 1/2.

BTW all 68 GT500 (non-KR) were PIs and they carry C8 casting numbers AND have hydraulic lifters...

Heads have 2.03 Valves NOT 2.09 " same as most other Lo-Po heads including GT 390!

Mike (Germany)
68 GT500

Not a cobra, but same heart

Jeff Frigo 09-24-2002 02:42 AM

I have got a cherry PI intake for sale. It is perfect, money back guarantee. Use to be on my car. E-mail me if interested.