Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Heater/Defroster needed? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/46828-heater-defroster-needed.html)

ERA Tom 11-02-2003 05:29 AM

Heater/Defroster needed?

Hello all, I am looking for some advise on whether or not to order my ERA Cobra with a heater/defroster unit. I have currently spec'd the car with this unit, but now I am reconsidering. I don't want the added complexity of heater hoses in the engine compartment if it's not needed. I live in southern California near the coast so the weather is generally mild year-round. I will probably drive the car year round with a soft top in the winter. My questions are: is there a legal requirement in California for a heater/defroster and based on your experiences do they get used?

Lowell W 11-02-2003 05:47 AM

Based on my experience... get the heater. I don't know about CA laws, and I sure don't live in SoCal, but if you ever drive your car to higher elevations or on cool evenings, you'll be glad to have it. If, as you say, you'll drive the car year-round and you're ordering it with a top, it only makes sense to me to have a heater. IMHO

Besides, when you drive your car to Spring Fling in June you'll be glad you ordered the heater. :3DSMILE:

Dennis Mosley 11-02-2003 07:29 AM

I have one in my car and when I take off on an early morning cruise with the gang, I'm nice and warm.:3DSMILE:

era427tp 11-02-2003 07:54 AM

I live in CTand Ihave found the heat of a FE will keep me warm with the temprature down in the 40's.

CJ428CJ 11-02-2003 10:42 AM

Tom,

If you have a wife or girlfriend that you'd like to have accompany you on any early morning or evening outings, definitely order the heater. Otherwise she'll always want to take the other car when you'd prefer to drive the Cobra.

Chris

kountzecobra 11-02-2003 12:13 PM

I decided two weeks ago that I need a heater. Now I am looking for the smallest unit available.

CobERA 11-02-2003 01:16 PM

Definitely Get A Heater!

Tom,

I bought the heater/defroster for my ERA, and for the first few months of driving it (summer) I was not sure I needed it. However, just the other day, I was driving to work in the morning. It was coool and slighty foggy. I did not have the heater valve open yet. At one point, the inside of my windshield fogged up so bad that I could barely see. I pulled over, opened the valve, turned on the heater, and within a couple of minutes the windshield was clear. I have since used it to warm the cockpit a bit on cooler evenings.

Get one!

CobERA 11-02-2003 05:20 PM

Definitely Get A Heater!

Tom,

I bought the heater/defroster for my ERA, and for the first few months of driving it (summer) I was not sure I needed it. However, just the other day, I was driving to work in the morning. It was coool and slighty foggy. I did not have the heater valve open yet. At one point, the inside of my windshield fogged up so bad that I could barely see. I pulled over, opened the valve, turned on the heater, and within a couple of minutes the windshield was clear. I have since used it to warm the cockpit a bit on cooler evenings.

Get one!

ERA Tom 11-03-2003 05:05 AM

Thanks for all the good feedback on the need for a heater. Based upon what I heard, I'll stick with the original order and get the heater. Thanks again, Tom.