Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   New Ford Factory Engine (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/47173-new-ford-factory-engine.html)

casaleenie 11-13-2003 05:25 PM

New Ford Factory Engine

Saw an article in the newspapers auto section today singing the praises of the new all aluminum 5.0 liter engine Ford is making available...

I'm sure this is probably old news to most of you guys but it sure was a beautiful piece of work...

The Cammer - with four, two-barrel Weber carburetors- it's rated at 420HP at 6,700rpm with 370 fp of torque at 5,000.
No street use and no warranty. $15K.

It fits into a Ford Focus...

Oh the Humanity!!!!!!

Bumpster 11-13-2003 07:27 PM

Oh sure, no street use. That's a funny one.

Bumpster

GeorgiaSnake 11-13-2003 07:40 PM

Al it's neat but won't fit in our cars :confused: Too wide at the top I think.

Randy

casaleenie 11-14-2003 05:48 AM

Randy,

My wife said it won't fit even if it would fit..
;)

Al:D

GeorgiaSnake 11-14-2003 05:50 AM

:D Let her drive it some - that did wonders on this end %/

Randy

Excaliber 11-14-2003 09:21 AM

I did hear about that motor. Near as I can figure it is a modified 4.6. Perhaps they used the standard 5.4 crankshaft to gain the extra cubes?

Now the 5.4 there using in the new GT-40 should NOT be confused with the existing 5.4 they use in the BIG Fords, SUV's and trucks, etc.

The "new" 5.4 just happens to share the same bore and stroke but it is a TOTALLY new design. For instance it was desgined from day one to be a "dry sump" motor. It CANNOT accept an "oil pan" without modifications to the block and the oiling system! It was also designed from day one to be a super charged engine. Extra webbing in the casting of the block, a lower end "girdle", "trick" H-beam connecting rods with a VERY unusual wrist pin design. The wrist pin may be a first for a gasoline engine but the idea came from DIESEL engine technology!

The new 5.4 is indeed an awesome design. Count on it eventually finding it's way into some of the other Ford product lines. Like maybe a potent Lincoln or full size car? Probably NOT a SUV or truck application I would think.

Ernie