Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Rocker Arms (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/48633-rocker-arms.html)

maverickfe 12-30-2003 10:56 PM

Rocker Arms

Has anyone had Hydrualic cam and lifters and used and Adjustable Rocker Arms?
How would you adjust them?And if you could use soild lifters with this too?
Thanks Scott:confused:

Clois Harlan 12-31-2003 05:06 AM

Yes, you can use adjustable rocker arms with a hydraulic cam. I ran them on my engine when it had hydraulic lifters. I have since switched to solid lifters and love them. On solid lifters your gap or adjustment is .022-.025 clearance. On a hydraulic lifter engine I run the lifters just like you would on solids but once my push rod seats in the lifter I turn it down one quarter turn and lock the rocker arm down.

Get a copy of Steve Crist's book on FE Engines it has a good set of instructions on how to set your rocker arms.

Clois Harlan

trularin 12-31-2003 06:45 AM

roller rockers

I have a special cut Hydraulic cam with adjustable roller rockers and it is very nice.

Once installed I did basically what Clois said and adjusted them to zero lash and then a bit more. I used 1/8 turn. Many guys use the 1/4 turn but it is more for noise than anything else.

If you want to know the proceedure, here is a quick note.
1. Install cam with as much lube as you can. Dripping is good!
2. You should have presoaked the lifters in 30 weight for a day. Install them.
3. Put your hardened push rods in with lots of assembly lube or antigall ( spelling ).
4. Put antigall or assembly lube on all of the parts of the rockers.
5. Lifters that are all the way down ( not openning valves), can be statically adjusted by turning the push rods as you tighten the outer adjustment nut.
6. Once the rod starts to turn hard or stops, note the location of the wrench and add 1/8 turn. Lock the inner nut when done.
7. You can not do all of the engine without turning it over to adjust the rockers that are up.
8. Once you have adjusted the rockers, prime the engine.

That should be about it.

Good luck and happy holidays

:3DSMILE:

maverickfe 12-31-2003 01:59 PM

Thanks Clois,trularin for the info. So what you are saying is that I can change to soild lifters from Hyrualic ones?But what would you think of the best choice.Right now I have Doug Herbert Hydrualic Cam and Lifters springs ect. DSC Motorsports Adjustable Rocker Arm( has anyone used theses befor and are they suppose to come with lock down nuts).
Thanks Scott