Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   GT40 Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/gt40-talk/)
-   -   Fate of the original GTX-1? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/gt40-talk/82917-fate-original-gtx-1-a.html)

Historybuff 10-11-2007 02:18 PM

Fate of the original GTX-1?

In 1966 Ken Miles and Floyd ruby finished first at Sebring
in a red GT40
7-liter targa
(Yeah, I know , they didn't make the GT40 roadster in big block
but I got the picture right here).

and then to commemorate this feat, to acknowledge its achievement, Ford dumped the car into a
landfill to avoid paying customs duties because although it was designed and
engineered in the US., it was considered a British import.

I thought the car was still buried but Mark Gerish , the guy who makes the modern X1 out of '05-'06 Ford GTs, says he knows someone near Wisconsin (it mighta been Minnesota) who owns the X-1. I think his friend may own some sort of Ford Can Am car (which the X1 was before it was rebodied iwth a Mk. II nose and tail). but not the X-1 which was a one off car.

On the other hand, maybe someone dug it up when I wasn't looking....

Anybody have any theories on where it is...?

JBo 10-11-2007 04:25 PM

It Lives!!!!!!!????!

double ugly 10-11-2007 04:27 PM

Wasn't it Lloyd Ruby?

JBo 10-11-2007 04:44 PM

Urban legend

mrmustang 10-11-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Historybuff
In 1966 Ken Miles and Floyd ruby finished first at Sebring
in a red GT40
7-liter targa
(Yeah, I know , they didn't make the GT40 roadster in big block
but I got the picture right here).

and then to commemorate this feat, to acknowledge its achievement, Ford dumped the car into a
landfill to avoid paying customs duties because although it was designed and
engineered in the US., it was considered a British import.

I thought the car was still buried but Mark Gerish , the guy who makes the modern X1 out of '05-'06 Ford GTs, says he knows someone near Wisconsin (it mighta been Minnesota) who owns the X-1. I think his friend may own some sort of Ford Can Am car (which the X1 was before it was rebodied iwth a Mk. II nose and tail). but not the X-1 which was a one off car.

On the other hand, maybe someone dug it up when I wasn't looking....

Anybody have any theories on where it is...?

For a writer digging into the world of automobiles, you would think a direct approach to your research would be better for your reputation then by posting such open ended nonsense on a internet forum or two.

Trueoo7 10-11-2007 06:53 PM

Have any pictures or links to the modern X1?

Mark IV 10-13-2007 08:24 AM

But Bill,

Wally NEVER works that way!:eek: A little tidbit and backdoor question is MUCH more fun!

Rick:LOL:

Trevor Legate 10-13-2007 09:33 AM

Damn fine driver, that Floyd......

dynoroom 10-13-2007 10:29 AM

Which one is Pink?

And they said pigs can fly...

Historybuff 10-13-2007 03:15 PM

To add to the excitement

I sat next to the guy at lunch awhile back who interrred the car
but he ain't talking...it's his little secret.

reportedly he has some pieces off the car

Whether he would recognize the site after 40 some
years (I figure it was interrred between 1966 and 1967 since
Shelby lost his LAX airport facility in '67)
is another question. Sometimes freeways and major building construction have a way of altering the landscape

There is rumored to be another GT40 Mk. II buried in France, the one Hangsgen was driving when he crashed in practice in the rain. I have seen a picture of it post-wreck where it is in two pieces. I don't suppose the French would like me appearing with a skip loader and digging around the track.

On the other hand , to contradict that, I once heard all the wrecked GT40s were sent to Holman & Moody for possible repair. I also heard that Ford has some in storage and have one picture showing some in storage but have no idea when the picture was taken. At one time Ford loaned me a set of keys and I went around Dearborn, Allen Park, etc. opening little buildings and found lots of old show cars but no GT40s. They had a "dream car " sale a couple years ago but it was mostly Ghia stuff and no GT40s.

mrmustang 10-13-2007 03:30 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, huh what, oh, it's just you zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mark IV 10-13-2007 03:46 PM

Bill, Trevor,

You don't understand, our posts are invisible to Wally!:eek:

This one time, I was at band camp, and this guy called Shelby told me he had 33 chassis' stored away in a barn, and he was gonna clean 'em up, and then bury them under a freeway in LA and then dig 'em up again, and then clean 'em up, and then................

.............the drugs wore off..............................

I have a new book coming out soon. Would anyone like to trade me a GT40 or P4 for an AUTOGRAPHED copy?!??! You could be the first to see if the man in the yellow hat OR Michael Jackson is first to K-Mart, because they have little boys pants half off!!!!!!!

Aw, heck this is WAY too fun!**)

Mark IV 10-13-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Historybuff
I sat next to the guy at lunch awhile back who interrred the car

I had lunch once........................