Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

You can always give me a call. I will be happy to answer your questions. I will tell you that you can get an RCR built to the quality and completeness of the SPF for around 65K. The RCR will accept many different transaxles and it is larger on the inside due to the reuduced size of the side sponsoons. I could not drive the SPF, I just didn't fit but I am all legs. The SPF has a more original chassis, although my polished aluminum chassis will hold its own at many shows. The exterior is just as original as the SPF. They were both splashed off of original cars. I don't think there is 40k difference. The RCR is a roller when you get it and it will need to be put together and painted for the $45,000 price. I have a ton of time in my car. I personally like the idea of building the car to fit my personal taste but it will take you awhile to get it done. The SPF is basically finished when you get it, but like I said, Fran at RCR will finish the car for you. The RCR is easy to set up. I have checked corner weights and bump steer and it is all with in a very tight spec. I have the numbers for everyone to see. I have not seen these numbers posted anywhere from any other manufacturer. I would want to see that info before I bought anything. I really do like all the detail in an SPF. They build a very nice car. I think it comes down to what you want to own and how much you want to spend. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 618 322 6046.

(Brent, can you resize the picture so the thread is easier to read?)
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

I just saw a question that I missed earlier. Yes Fran does a turn key minus. That's what I was talking about when I said I thought you could get one for around $65k but you should check with Fran. (warning: opinion inserted!) Just remember if it wasn't built in the 60's it is still a replica, I don't care what you call it. If you don't believe me, ask a guy who has an original and see what he thinks.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

if you can get a SPF for 74K now and an RCR cost 65 to get it to the same level, then you must decide if the 9K difference is worth it, not 40K as was stated. Also, I do not recall a single instance where someone around here or the GT40 forum has said that the SPF cars were not replicas. They are continuation GT40s, that is a fact. Whether that is important to you or not does not change it ,no more than you can change the fact that CSX 4000 cobras are Shelbys. A lot of people seem to hate that, but non the less, it is a fact.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in

I am 5'10" and 250# Chuck's CAV felt bigger than Dean's RCR but like Chuck said they are little cars. Both had plenty of head room.
The difference is mute. I would own either.
Get your roadster together. Plenty of room.

Chuck, Were you talking about me?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Chuck, I undestand. I just have flash backs to Evan and the debates we used to have here. I think that there have been discussions on both forums about is a contiuation car a "real" one or not. Thats why I said it was just my opinion. I would hope the Rodknock would choose on the merits of the car, not this pedigree that has been created. I think this comes from a guy I met last year who I don't believe hangs out with us here. He had his nose up in the air about the fact that his car was a "continuation" car I mine was just a kit car. Like mine was on a VW chassis or something! SPF makes a great car and I don't think it needs the pedigree, real or not, to be a top player in the game. I hope to see a few more GT40's at Run and Gun this year so we can look at them side by side.

How much is an SPF roller with most options? I really haven't looked.

Last edited by dlampe; 05-10-2008 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: A Cobra

I tried to get into two SPF GT40s and ended up with my head bent sideways.

Talking with Fran, I understand I can sit comfortably in the RCR.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

Tony, yes that was you I was speaking of. You are the only person I know that has first hand experience in sitting in both cars. The SPF can be adjusted for taller drivers, but not as easily as the CAV. When I got my SPF it was adjusted for a taller guy and I had to move the pedels toward me as well as add foam to the back of the seat to get me closer.

Dean, there will always be the stuck up guy touting the superior nature of his car, but for the most part I have found thet guys that buy CSX or SPF GT40s, do so because they appreciate the original replication and not because they feel it is an original car.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC

Jamo was comfortable in my CAV.

Enough said.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
Jamo was comfortable in my CAV.

Enough said.

Yeah but he required a forklift to get him out.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Well, the money part is always important to me. Fitting comfortably inside the GT40 would also be very important. Kit quality, including the least amount of deviation from the original design, is important. Customer service, if needed, is very important too. I bought my Kirkham partially due to the outstanding customer service that Kirkham gives their customers. The pedigree thing is way down the list. If all other things were equal, which they never are, then the SPF would probably be the choice because of the pedigree.

Due to time and technical skill limitations, I'm farily sure that I would like to get a turnkey minus car. About 5'11" and 175lbs, so I'm no Dean and I'm definitely no Jamo, at least based on reputation.

BTW, the Kirkham has a new (temporary) address.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hey Dean, by the way, I was one of the people who had made an offer on your FIA car way back when. Thanks for the GT40 advice. Much appreciated and opinions are always welcome. Rodney
Old 05-10-2008, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

That FIA car is in London England now. Good luck on your search for a 40. If originality is important, then I would look at the ERA and the SPF. They have very original looking chassis but I think the original interiors were much more "raw" than the SPF. The SPF has a damn nice interior, more like a production car. That can be really nice. Look at a lot of pictures and see what you like and don't like. I always break my replica's down into exterior, interior, and engine bay when it come to originality. The RCR is very accurate on the exterior and the interior but the chassis is different.

I am little bias so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC View Post
Tony, yes that was you I was speaking of. You are the only person I know that has first hand experience in sitting in both cars. The SPF can be adjusted for taller drivers, but not as easily as the CAV. When I got my SPF it was adjusted for a taller guy and I had to move the pedels toward me as well as add foam to the back of the seat to get me closer.

Dean, there will always be the stuck up guy touting the superior nature of his car, but for the most part I have found thet guys that buy CSX or SPF GT40s, do so because they appreciate the original replication and not because they feel it is an original car.

Hey Chuck, I was reading up on the Mk III GT and they had electrically adjustable pedals for differents size drivers because the seats are fixed.
Pretty cool.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: GTD40, sbf 302 400hp

SPF = buyer/owner
RCR = hobbiest/builder
Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Rodnock,

Keep an eye peeled for our carbon fiber monocoque tub due out this fall.

It will follow our usual pricing stucture and it will be offered in our complete "Dexluxe Component Package".

This level of package inludes every part needed to complete a car less engine, battery and paint.

It is quite a good value even at todays exchange rates.

Also take a look on our website to see our new US Spec kits that are less expensive than other kits of the same contents.

Best Regards,
Scott
Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69

Hey Scott

What happened with the steel mono tubs that was due out ealier this year?
I've been waiting to see some pics of one or someone to start a build thread
on GT40s.com.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Dave,

Since we have decided to go forward with the carbon car, the steel mono has been put on the back burner.

If you would like, we could still weld a steel one up for you though.

Stay tuned you will be amazed.

Cheers,
S

Last edited by 5150; 05-26-2008 at 04:19 AM..
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Dave, I will stay tuned. I'm not in a rush. I still need to sit in one (or two or three...) and hopefully get a ride too before making any final decisions.

However, a turnkey minus is the best configuration for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: