Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Holley Tuning (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/holley-tuning/)
-   -   Carburetor trouble need help (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/holley-tuning/144335-carburetor-trouble-need-help.html)

MaSnaka 12-27-2020 01:10 PM

Carburetor trouble need help

I have noticed over the last several drives my car has been twitchy at acceleration. Not smooth on take offs. Not sputtering or hesitating or anything like that, but a little jerky. So I checked to see if the cable was sticking, r&r the pedal assembly and lubed with grease. I found no issues. Yesterday I took the Cobra out after it had been sitting for a few weeks. Before I left I had it idling in the driveway and found after a few minutes of warming up there was a rough spot when I would manually blip the throttle by hand. It's almost sticking like its binding until it breaks loose then its fine. So a quick fix I sprayed some WD at the pivot points inside and outside on the primary throttle plate shaft. Oh it smooths out nice. So I go for my drive and everything is great, but then it starts to really hang up. I have to tickle the pedal with my foot to get it to open and once it breaks free everything seems normal. Talk about jerky... This is an intermittent problem as this didn't happen every time but once is too much. Is it possible there is a bushing that wears out where the shaft goes through?? Now the engine is cool there is no sign of this. AED HO 750 which uses the Holly body 4150. Over 10 years old.

Thanks for any help.
John

Argess 12-27-2020 02:08 PM

Probably not your problem, but I find the gas pedal can often catch on the floor-mat.

Jerry Clayton 12-27-2020 02:56 PM

CABLE????? possibly fraying/unraveling inside the housing------common problem with cables-------

MaSnaka 12-27-2020 05:09 PM

I found the primary plates were sticking when closed all the way. Weird thing is if the engine was off they would not stick. When I start the engine they stick, and so on for about 20 cycles of starting and shutting down. If I turned the idle screw down half a turn to crack them open no problem, but when I'd loosed the screw they would close too far and stick. So I closed them all the way. Loosened the screws that hold the plates to the shaft and let the plates find a new happy place and then tightened the screws. No problems during a short 2 mile drive. Fingers crossed this fix is so simple. Time will tell soon. BTW no floor mat and no fraying of the cable.

John

PDUB 12-27-2020 11:10 PM

Gotta love an easy fix, John! Glad it worked out well for you.