Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Hurricane Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/hurricane-motorsports/)
-   -   Installing AC ? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/hurricane-motorsports/128478-installing-ac.html)

mnm99 04-07-2014 08:58 AM

Installing AC ?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined. How hard is it to install AC/Heat in a Hurricane? Will it fit? Would you recommend another brand? The car has heat now. In my other thread about inspection NYS requires a defroster. I figured since I wanted AC anyway I could install it and kill 2 birds with one stone. Ideas? This is the unit I was looking at.
Thanks

Whitby Motorcars

1795 04-07-2014 04:27 PM

I am not sure about installing it in a hurricane, but you might want to look at my posts on retrofitting a heater/defroster into an ERA. It is a little bit of work, and the unit that you are looking at looks more involved than what I did.

It is a lot easier putting these units into new construction than taking things apart and dealing with everything that is in the way...:eek:

Jim

Steve Gallegos 04-07-2014 04:44 PM

I had AC installed in my backdraft when I bought it. The condenser unit is in the trunk behind the back wall, the hoses go under the sills and up under the dash. There are two outlets for the air attached under the dash putting air into the cock pit. the controls are under the dash facing out, with this unit I have both heat and AC:D

CSX3183 04-07-2014 04:47 PM

What the Huck?

Jesus, just get it over with,, a buy a damn MOTORHOME. Cause you sure anin't getting the experience, you wanted and paid for, you might get the recognition, but you're all fluff !

Cashburn 04-07-2014 08:50 PM

The defroster requirement can be met electronically, I'll leave that up to you. The avoidance of all out NYS inspection process can be handled by purchasing a used replica that has been legally registered in another state that follows the SEMA model.

LMH 04-07-2014 09:26 PM

Defroster wouldn't be a big deal, especially if you already have the heater.
Not sure why anyone would want AC in a car like this but that's up to you. If you don't have a glove box, it could probably fit in there.
Larry

mnm99 04-08-2014 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1294482)
Defroster wouldn't be a big deal, especially if you already have the heater.
Not sure why anyone would want AC in a car like this but that's up to you. If you don't have a glove box, it could probably fit in there.
Larry

Can you give me a link for the electric defroster? AC is just a bonus when it's real hot. That's just me. I had a 68 Camaro Convertible that I just sold and AC would have been nice once and a while. If I get a hard top it will also help.

601HP 04-08-2014 09:31 AM

There items can make life more comfortable in a Cobra:
a. there are some great in-dash navigation/dvd players to consider, and a separate multi-channel amp, subwoofer, component speakers.
b. a back-up camera is a nice option.
c. I believe some have also installed electric seat warmers.
d. A few fellas on this site have found some attractive cup holders.
e. power steering for no sweat slow speed negotiating.

;):D:eek::LOL:

David

LMH 04-08-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm99 (Post 1294507)
Can you give me a link for the electric defroster? AC is just a bonus when it's real hot. That's just me. I had a 68 Camaro Convertible that I just sold and AC would have been nice once and a while. If I get a hard top it will also help.

I don't know of any electric defroster offered by Hurricane. If you have the coolant heater optioned by Hurricane, adding defrosters isn't a big deal. Flex tubing and premade vent plumbing are available and hook up to the heater.
As far as a HVAC single unit that would fit, you might research Vintage Air and see what they offer. It would most likely be able to fit where the glove box would go on the right side of the dash.
Larry

CSX3183 04-08-2014 04:26 PM

Forget it, they're all too far gone to realize the folly of their ways. God Help them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 601HP (Post 1294537)
There items can make life more comfortable in a Cobra:
a. there are some great in-dash navigation/dvd players to consider, and a separate multi-channel amp, subwoofer, component speakers.
b. a back-up camera is a nice option.
c. I believe some have also installed electric seat warmers.
d. A few fellas on this site have found some attractive cup holders.
e. power steering for no sweat slow speed negotiating.

;):D:eek::LOL:

David

A-Snake 04-08-2014 05:51 PM

Heaters? Put a jacket on.
AC? Take your jacket off.
Rain or snow? Put garbage bag on over seats and wear rain gear. Have credit card handy to scrape windshield
Backup light & heated seats? Really? :o

http://photos.zweezy.com/img_fde940a...fe9f2fab33.jpg

http://photos.zweezy.com/img_0499a53...275f5b3a8a.jpg

http://photos.zweezy.com/img_76d1b92...78cc63b897.jpg

Varmit 04-08-2014 06:54 PM

wow, that's cool. cold too I guess!!!

601HP 04-08-2014 07:19 PM

Backup camera & heated seats? Really?

He** no. I was funnin' with him. A/C in a Cobra? OMG! :confused:

David

dallas_ 04-08-2014 07:20 PM

Looks like an episode of "Ice Road Truckers"!

I've seen pictures of that white stuff.