Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Ignition (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/ignition/)
-   -   Need Battery Recommendation (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/ignition/143079-need-battery-recommendation.html)

qmaster 12-25-2019 06:08 PM

Need Battery Recommendation

I think my Optima Yellow Top is done, and I am done with these overpriced and unreliable batteries.

What other brands and models should I be looking at? Maybe something with a long warranty that I can get locally?

Thanks.

Jason

bobcowan 12-25-2019 07:01 PM

I think the two top brands year after year are Duralast and Interstate. Can't go wrong with either of them.

davids2toys 12-26-2019 05:51 AM

I bought 4 Odyssey batteries for 4 different cars including my Cobra and Harley 10 years ago and all are still going strong!They are a military grade battery good for at least 12 years. They are not cheapest, but easy to get with free shipping. Customer support is also very good. I have spoken to their engineer multiple times. They are vibration proof and can be mounted in any position but upside down. In our Cobras we can get away with a lot smaller of a battery which is also much cheaper. I probably should have opted for that but I went with the biggest I could fit in the tray

Karl Bebout 12-26-2019 06:22 AM

I've had Bosch glass mat battery for several years, with no complaints. Its located up in the RR wheel well and not easy access, so I didnt want to have to worry about electrolyte level. BTW, bought it at Pep Boys for well more than $100 less than an Optima.

ERA174 12-26-2019 08:56 AM

Short answer, the Odyssey Extreme Series 35-PC1400T was given the highest score of 99 out of 100 in Consumer Reports testing, at approximately $300 it's expensive. I usually buy the Walmart Everlast Maxx batteries, which usually have decent ratings are only about $100, with a 3 year full replacement warranty. Battery longevity is directly related to how well you maintain it. Keep it on a smart charger or disconnect it if it is not used regularly, frequently discharged batteries will not last as long as ones kept at optimal voltages. Lead-Acid batteries need to have the fluid level checked at regular intervals and topped off with distilled water if not at optimal level. Battery terminal connections need to be kept clean and corrosion free. AGM batteries have advantages over lead-acid batteries but are usually more expensive. An internet search on this subject will return a wealth of information, should you choose to go down that rabbit hole.

patrickt 12-26-2019 10:12 AM

I'm replacing my Interstate MegaTron II, MT-47, in the spring. It's eight years old and has started to show a little slowing down when cranking a hot engine on a hot day. My last MegaTron II I replaced at the six year mark, thinking it was failing. That turned out to be a flaky ignition switch and the MegaTron was probably just fine.

ERA 626 12-26-2019 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
these work great

cycleguy55 12-30-2019 11:43 AM

I replaced my Yellow Top with a Kirkland Signature Group 34/78 flooded lead acid battery I bought at Costco Canada about 3 years ago. The last I heard these were made by Johnson Controls, but may be Interstate (costco.com says their batteries are Interstate).

This has top and side terminals, and I'm using the side terminals as my battery box is mounted on its side behind the passenger side rear wheel and the battery slides in from the side. Works like a charm.

I'm also running KS batteries in our daily drivers and have been for years - nothing but good luck with them. Costco Canada also carries AGM batteries, and I expect Costco in the USA does so as well, if you're so inclined.

427 Street 08-12-2021 12:01 PM

I thought I would revive this thread....any new recommendations in 2021?

My Group 24F needs replacing.

I was going to go with an Optima, which worked great in my FIA, but they do not have a Group 24F equivalent....I thought the Group 34R was very close.

I have Duracells in my bass boat, and they work well.

Thanks

patrickt 08-12-2021 12:05 PM

I did replace my eight year old Interstate that spring (as per my post above). It was still strong even then. It's a monster of a battery and could well have made it to the ten year mark.

CJ428CJ 08-16-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

I was going to go with an Optima, which worked great in my FIA, but they do not have a Group 24F equivalent....I thought the Group 34R was very close.
I replaced a lead/acid battery in my ERA with an Optima 34R a 4-5 years ago. It's worked flawlessly, and I don't miss the lead acid drips that my old battery exhibited. I have the 427 with the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. Not sure what might be different on your FIA.

427 Street 08-19-2021 01:08 PM

CJ,

Thank you for the reply. I sold my FIA with an Optima in it, but I now own another 427 car....my battery is also located in the traditional front/passenger position. So, the Optima 34R is a good replacement for the conventional Group 24F?

Thank you again

spdbrake 08-19-2021 03:31 PM

They have the same orientation of the + - terminals and the same width, length. The 34R is 1.125" shorter than the 24F though.

incoming 08-19-2021 04:10 PM

I replaced a yellow top battery which was 11yrs old with a red top in my trunk mounted FIA.

jjh 08-20-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427 Street (Post 1496035)
CJ,

Thank you for the reply. I sold my FIA with an Optima in it, but I now own another 427 car....my battery is also located in the traditional front/passenger position. So, the Optima 34R is a good replacement for the conventional Group 24F?

Thank you again

Bosch Group 24 has been in ERA#677 for over 7 years now and still cranking strong.

427 Street 08-20-2021 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjh (Post 1496059)
Bosch Group 24 has been in ERA#677 for over 7 years now and still cranking strong.

Is that the same car that's my Avatar :LOL:

jjh 08-24-2021 06:43 AM

Why yes sir, it is:)