Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Inglese Induction Systems (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/inglese-induction-systems/)
-   -   Weber intake manifold (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/inglese-induction-systems/52513-weber-intake-manifold.html)

Snakebit 04-09-2004 02:34 PM

Weber intake manifold

On your Weber set up for a Ford 302, with 48IDA's are the carbs set up facing the same direction or opposed? Which is easier to set up the throttle linkage?

Jessica Wysocki 04-12-2004 06:14 AM

Our Weber systems are designed to have all fuel lines facing outward.

It is easier to set up the throttle linkage if the carbs are facing the same direction. However, if the carbs are opposed you will have a better throttle response and the fuel will be properly directed to the head.

We sell the complete linkage systems as well as all fuel lines for facing either outward or inward.

Visit www.inglese.com
or contact Dan Miller, Inglese Sales Representative at 203-265-3617

Cracker 04-12-2004 06:31 AM

Jessica - I have an Inglese intake with 48 IDA's set opposed - I believe. All fuel connections are between the carbs as shown below - is this what you mean by opposed? Also, whats the theory behind inproved throttle response with this set-up vs. running carbs in the same direction?

BTW, I like just happened to like the clean look of inset fuel lines - I guess it's better to be lucky than good sometimes!:LOL:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...578_1_-med.JPG

Excaliber 04-12-2004 08:18 AM

What do you do for air fliters on Webers?

Ernie

Cracker 04-12-2004 01:37 PM

Ernie - What air filters!%/ I have the strainers like most but those only keep out the big stuff. The other crap gets processed and is evident by the oil condition which requires changes at around 500-1000 miles - it's when I change my oil anyway. I only have about 150 miles so far on this entire build so I can't comment on long term affects but am smart enough to know what they could be. Some have seen as much as 100 hp loss just with the thin 1/8 foam insert so alot of weber engines are run relatively open. I hope this answers your question.

Jessica Wysocki 04-13-2004 10:11 AM

Cracker -

When I say "opposed" I mean the carburetors are either facing outward or inward. Where as, the "same direction" would mean either facing all left or all right. So... yes your system would be opposed.

If the carburetors are all facing right or left then one set of carburetors will dispense the fuel into the throttle plate. And the other set would dispense the fuel directly into the cylinder combustion chamber. It is more efficient to have all the carburetors dispensing fuel directly into the cylinder combustion chamber, although this has no effect for street driving.

From the type of questions you are asking it seems like you would benefit from purchasing our Inglese Induction Systems Balancing and Procudure Manuel. See the Inglese Induction System Forum of this site for more information or call 203-265-3617 to order.

Also, reading our Weberology 101 article located on www.inglese.com/tech.htm might help you to better understand Weber Systems.

Real nice car, by the way, excellent construction. I noticed you not only have one of our Weber Systems but also our system regulator, fuel blocks & gauge. You need one of our Warning Plaques, visit www.inglese.com/gear.htm Or visit the Inglese Induction System Forum of this site for more information.

It is also possible you need one of our Unisyns or Syncrometers visit http://www.tperformance.com/street_r...n/tuning_tools

Jessica Wysocki 04-13-2004 10:20 AM

Ernie -

What do we do for air fliters on Webers?

We sell them! Rings, screens and filters!

Visit http://www.tperformance.com/street_r...s_and_filters/

Cracker 04-13-2004 10:34 AM

Thank you Jessica for the explanation. Since the only females riding in my car are my wife & daughter it would probably be familiar territory - but thanks, it's cute.

http://www.inglese.com/pix/warning.jpg

davidlee 04-13-2004 12:22 PM

That is an absolutely awsome looking system. It makes my polished holley double pumper look like it came out of a Cracker Jack box.

Cracker 04-13-2004 12:41 PM

"cracker jack box" - I like that one!:LOL: Thanks for the compliment. That is a new motor I put up for sale in January and installed in the car so it may be 'test" driven to ease any fears and it's still in my car - kind of makes me want to scratch my head. There is not much else that can compare to real webers in a fake cobra!:LOL: BTW, they sound as good as they look!:o

Excaliber 04-13-2004 04:49 PM

I'm sure those other Weber guys in Calif are nice folks, but this IS the "Inglese Induction Systems" forum. Those other guys? Let them get their own forum! :D

....and I thought my two four barrels were pretty cool until I saw those "Cracker Jack" Webers.

Jessica you might want to up-load some Weber pictures to your gallery.

Ernie

Snakebit 04-15-2004 07:24 PM

Could you explain why the carbs facing the same direction would not distribute the fuel evenly on both sides of the engine??? But if the carbs are set up oposite one another they will distribute the fuel evenly??? The carbs don't know which way they are facing. Would it also depend on if you are traveling east to west or west to east???

Jessica Wysocki 04-16-2004 01:03 PM

Snakebit,

Which direction you are traveling in won’t matter. All that matters is how you mount your carburetors to the manifold. Also the word evenly is not the proper descriptive term. If the carburetors are set up opposed they disperse fuel more efficiently and directly into the combustion chamber.

I could have been clearer in my previous explanation. So, I’ll try again.

If the carburetors are facing all left or all right, then both sides of the system are dispensing fuel in the same direction, either to the left or right. However, our FORD 302 manifold is constructed so that the carburetors on both sides must both dispense fuel inward, so that it will go straight to the combustion chamber, affecting the throttle response.

So… the carburetors on the right side of your system need to dispense fuel to the left (or inward) and the carburetors on the left side need to dispense fuel to the right (or inward) so that the fuel goes straight into the combustion chamber. If the fuel is dispensed outward it hits the throttle plate, falling out of suspension.

This is not only less efficient then directly disperseing the fuel into the combustion chamber, but when the fuel goes directly into the combustion chamber it passes through and mixes with the air. Where as, if it hits the throttle plate, it runs down the side and does not mix with the air as well. Although these details certainly affect your car’s performance, they do not produce drastic differences. They are most frequently used in racing and have no effect on street driving. But it’s really cool to have your WEBERs set-up just right.

I hope my explaination is what you were looking for. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Snakebit 04-16-2004 03:26 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Would this problem be more apparent on the 427 set up, as the carbs are angled towards the center of the engine, vs the carbs standing straight up on the small block engines?

Jessica Wysocki 04-19-2004 08:25 AM

Snakebit,

It is never really a problem - just a different way to set-up the carburetors. Both ways offer positives and negatives. It is never really a problem; because the difference it makes is so small, it is not even noticable in street driving.

And, no this problem isn't really more apparent if the carburetors are angled. It's just as apparent either way. In either case the fuel hits the throttle wall and is taken out of suspension. Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.